Cat Not Eating. Please Help.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of our cats, Rue, began making a strange coughing type noise yesterday and was hiding. She wasn't eating or drinking; she wasn't acting her normal self. We have a cat-proof fence in the backyard, and she is indoor/outdoor. She does hunt. She is UTD on her vaccinations.

We took her to the emergency vet since it was the weekend, and she began acting normal when we got her there. The only thing they could find amiss was that she was panting and mouth breathing, which the assistant said was not normal for a cat. She said it could be from the stress of being there, however. Rue explored the exam room and the only thing that appeared wrong was a raspy meow. She is DSH but has some Siamese in her background, so she is normally vocal. She is also very social. She loves to walk around in the yard with us. The vet examined her and couldn't find a problem. Honestly, she seemed to perk up and was quite lively there. Happy healthy cat. They gave her fluids and sent her home.

As soon as she got home, the abnormal behavior began again. She hid under a bush. She will not eat, though she licked her food, and is lethargic. DH picked her up tonight and she made the same odd coughing noise. Is it possible she could have caught something (a mouse or a bird) and got something stuck in her throat?

I know that understandably we aren't allowed to diagnosis on TCS, but has anyone has any advice or experience with this type of situation, please help. Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience, but I would suggest keeping her inside and getting her to your regular vet as soon as you can. Maybe an x-ray will show something and/or some bloodwork.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Something could be obstructing her trachea, which would explain the coughing and the panting. Of course, a vet's diagnosis will be far more accurate than my mere speculations, so I'd take her back to get everything checked out.

cat dad72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought my cat to the vet with the same symptoms as youres. Strange cough, hadn't eaten for two days. He snuck out on fri and didn't come home for eleven hours and started acting not himself. Vet gave him ex ray and found out out it was pneumonia. He is on anti biotics now. Might want to bring him to you're regular vet and see if they find something.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that she has a hairball that is affecting her. They can make a cat not feel like eating, be a little raspy or cough. Usually within a short while they will puke it up but sometimes they have a hard time getting it up. Had she ever coughed one up before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all. We made an appointment with our regular vet this afternoon, but she was showing so much improvement today that we cancelled. She ate almost a full can of food. Cat dad, I hope your cat is feeling better soon. There was a dog at the vet with pneumonia when we stopped by today. The owner said he had a rough time but was starting to improve. Vibes for your boy. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

cat dad72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T
Thank you all. We made an appointment with our regular vet this afternoon, but she was showing so much improvement today that we cancelled. She ate almost a full can of food. Cat dad, I hope your cat is feeling better soon. There was a dog at the vet with pneumonia when we stopped by today. The owner said he had a rough time but was starting to improve. Vibes for your boy. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you, he is doing a little better is sleeping a lot but has started eating a bit so that is a good sign. Hope you're cat is feeling better as well