Cat Not Eating Anything..

OvidiuHiei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my cat male around 1 and a half years old hasn't been eating lately, he has done this before but he would start eating again then stop and then eat again.. we are not sure what to do, we have tried almost everything, he usualyl only eats cheap wet food, he wont eat expensive ones or dry food, he also likes cooked chicken meat but sometimes he won't eat..

He is doing it again, this time we tried giving him raw meat, a few kinds of meat and fish and we won't eat, he has a good body and looks healthy, so i don't get it, why he doesn't eat or what can we try

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello my cat male around 1 and a half years old hasn't been eating lately, he has done this before but he would start eating again then stop and then eat again.. we are not sure what to do, we have tried almost everything, he usualyl only eats cheap wet food, he wont eat expensive ones or dry food, he also likes cooked chicken meat but sometimes he won't eat..

He is doing it again, this time we tried giving him raw meat, a few kinds of meat and fish and we won't eat, he has a good body and looks healthy, so i don't get it, why he doesn't eat or what can we try
Sometimes cats can get "stomach bugs" just like humans so that is one theory, or he got into something he was not supposed to and it has happened before thus causing him to lose his appetite. It could be intestinal parasites or worms if he goes outdoors but if he stays inside and is the only animal in the house, this would be unlikely. It could be that he can't smell (nose is clogged) and he is hesitating to eat because he does not trust the food. Cats are very dependent upon smells for a multitude of things. Food being one of them.

I have 4 cats and when one of them loses their appetite and I cannot get them to eat anything including treats or human-grade food (tuna or chicken) it usually means they are not feeling well. If they reject tuna then you KNOW something is wrong. But as you can see with all the possibilities I listed, a vet visit is probably in order to narrow it down. There are too many things that could be "wrong" causing your little buddy to lose his appetite. Let us know what happens from here!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you seen a vet?

Not eating can be a sign of many different problems. On it's own it lends itself specifically towards digestive related issues. Does he have any other symptoms besides not eating? Does he taste the food and walk away?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OvidiuHiei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you seen a vet?

Not eating can be a sign of many different problems. On it's own it lends itself specifically towards digestive related issues. Does he have any other symptoms besides not eating? Does he taste the food and walk away?

havent been to a vet yet, because the one i have her eit's really expensive, but if i have no other option..

sometimes he only smells and walks away, sometimes he will eat a couple pieces and walk away, it depends on his mood, everything looks fine otherwise, the poop and his habits seem normal, he doesn't drink much water though

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know, approximately, how many calories per day he is eating?

Just to mention it, cooked chicken is not a complete diet. It doesn't have all the nutrition a cat needs and over time those deficiencies will have a negative impact. It makes a great snack, but not a meal essentially.

Gizmoandsooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try him with fish.
He might be wanting a variety of foods.
Dry foods are good too.