Cat not eating and pooping for 9 days!!

Lavan.Psha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR TIPS!

Hey Loves,

I have a 3.5 year old female, sterilized cat. She was diagnosed with UTI and was treated with very painful antibiotic shots 9 days ago. She finished her last shot 5 days ago and UTI went away. However, she is very very very weak and constantly in pain at the injection site. That is not the main problem for now....

You see, she has not pooped since the first day of her antibiotics, 9 days ago! She is also refusing to eat since the last 9 days! She is not grooming at all, her belly is hard, and she is vomiting once a day.

So, today the vet prescribed Metronidazole to stop her from vomiting and advised me to force feed her rice and chicken soup. I did all of this. After couple of hours, she threw up again :(. I am almost losing hope because she has turned unbelievably weak from a super active cat.

Any tips would help. Thank you!

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be taking her urgently back to either that vet, or another.

Cat's can't go long times without eating, it's very dangerous.

I've never experienced it, but I've read plenty on here about fatty liver disease, which happens when cats don't eat.
One way I've read about treating this is a feeding tube.

But I'm not the best to answer this; meanwhile, I would think the vet would be concerned about how long your cat hasn't been eating for.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably needs an enema or possibly even surgery to evacuate her bowels. Please take her to get a second opinion. After 9 days time is of the essence. Lavan.Psha Lavan.Psha

(Sorry it cut me off mid paragraph continued from above)

If the problem is an obstruction then anti nausea medicine could just make the problem worse. I'm not saying you should stop using it though.

An obstruction is very serious and she probably has liver damage if she hasn't been able to keep anything down for 9 days. She might need fluids and ICU to stableize her. Please get a second opinion from a different vet clinic that is equipped to deal with ICU.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear that you and your cat are going through this. Please take her back to the vet, as soon as you possibly can. 9 days is extremely dangerous to go without eating or pooping.