Cat Not Eating And Fur Smells Funny

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. This is really long, but I feel like all the details will be helpful

My 12 year old cat, Bert, has had a rough couple of weeks. First he ate a long satin ribbon, but luckily he pooped that out 6 days later. During that time he started limping. I took him to the ER vet last Sunday to check out the limping and to ask about the ribbon (was the day before he pooped it out). They did a physical, tried to induce vomiting to see if the ribbon was in his belly (didn't work), and took xrays for the limping which confirmed arthritis in his hip and we were sent home with 3 days of Bupronex.

Fast forward to Wednesday. Woke up and noticed he hadn't eaten all of his food. Didn't think much about it, gave him a little more and left for work. Got home and there was still some food, so for dinner I refilled the dry and gave him a tiny amount of wet for the Cosequin I had started on Monday and went to bed. Thursday morning he had not touched the dry but ate the 2 TBS of wet. I refilled his dry, went to work, and when I came home he hadn't eaten any of it. I put down some wet (I stopped the Cosequin) and he ate a few bites, I went to bed. Friday morning he had not touched either, then got into the litter box and pooped a squirt of tan colored mush (his poops had been normal to this point, except for one the day before that was darker than usual). Took him to the vet and they examined him and did blood work and he was normal. They gave him an anti-nausea shot. We were sent home with a probiotic (that I can't get in him) and was told do whatever I could to get him to eat. Next step was an ultrasound next week. Oh! and here's the really weird thing ... when I got him home his back was wet/oily and had a funky smell (funky but sweet). They said the only thing they did was give him the shot. I cannot get that smell off of him.

That was yesterday. Today he only ate just under 1/8 c. of dry that wet down and held under his face. I've tried multiple brands of wet food, human baby food (beechnut thanks to you guys!), fish oil, goat milk probiotic, chicken that I made for myself. Nothing. He pooped another round of small mushy tan poo, but then went back into the box and pooped a more formed but still mushy one. He's peeing fine. I got some comfort zone in case he's stressed out. I'm at a loss.

Here's the dilemma: I know he needs to eat otherwise liver issues kick in. I feel like we might be close to that due the amount of days this has been going on. I've done what I'm supposed to do by taking him in yesterday. I called the ER vet and feel like I should probably take him back in there, but it just feels like a lot on him since he's utterly terrified of the vet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I give it another day? What else could I try to get him to eat? And what's with that smell????? Help!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I'm glad you're here!
Some other things would be Kitten Milk Replacer, canned kitten food, bonito flakes, tuna.

Try Hills Prescription Diet A D Critical Care Canned Food. This is the canned food veterinarians often use in the clinic to test for lack of appetite. Not only do most cats find it irresistible, it is also very high in calories which is what your cat needs at this point. This type of food is usually available through veterinary clinics but you have a cat that goes on occasional hunger strikes, it's a good idea to stock up on this food.

Sometimes a taste of food is all it takes to "remind" a cat of eating. Use a comfort foods described above but don't just leave it in the food dish. Use your finger to offer the food close to the cat's mouth and if that doesn't work, try to rub some on his gums. You can also place some food on the cat's paw, and hopefully he'll lick it off from there.

If previous measures fail, it's time to take a more proactive approach. Place pureed wet canned food in a syringe (without the needle!). Test to make sure the consistency can be easily squeezed out of the syringe and if needs be, dilute with some water. Don't dilute too much as you want to get as much of the nutrients in a single dose. You may want to wrap kitty up, burrito-style and you definitely need to have towels ready nearby because it could be messy. Try to keep this routine as peaceful and relaxed as possible by preparing everything you need in advance and staying calm and supportive throughout the process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for replying so quickly! I actually tried the Hill's A/D per my mom's suggestion and he ate like 5 bites and then tried to cover it up and he doesn't do 'leftovers'. I have another can so maybe I'll open it tonight and hope he eats more than a bite or two. I've tried tuna, but hadn't thought of kitten food. I've tried putting it on his paw, using my finger, sitting on the floor and petting him by his food. I just got home from the store and got some Purina Chow dry and he got excited for a minute but then stopped eating it (though, he might be nibbling on it right now). I think I have a dental syringe somewhere that might work, but I'll be honest, I suffer from anxiety that is a bit high right now and don't think I'll be able to syringe feed him. I've left the house for remedy #x and come home to a fail so many times today. I just can't go back out for more experimental items that may or may not work tonight. I'm exhausted. I'll keep trying with maybe some kitten chow or maybe just take him back in tomorrow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing awesome, hang in there! Our furbabies are challenging at times, there is no doubt about that! :hugs:
:vibes::redheartpump:

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is quite the mystery! I feel like the diarrhea is a clue to something wrong with his digestive system, which could be affecting appetite and can also make him dehydrated. Have you taken a stool sample in to the vet recently?

As for the oil on his back with the smell, it’s possible the vaccination messed up his hormones a bit. Cats have scent glands at the base of their tail that secrete oil but if it becomes overactive, it can cause a super oily back. I’m not sure if that’s what the issue is, but you can ask your vet if some side effects of the vaccination could be a hormone imbalance.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second the syringe feeding if necessary. Once you get the hang of the syringe it's really quick and pretty painless. Are there any treats your cat can't resist? It's not a meal but it could make him realize how hungry he is.
My cat is like yours in refusing all the tasty things other cats seem to love. No topper works with her. Stella and Chewy freeze dried morsels is her kitty crack. They have guarantee, so you can return it if your kitty doesn't like it. It sounds like you've tried tons of things so I don't blame you if you don't want to try another food.

What human food toppers have you tried? I hear good things about cheese, especially parmesan. My cat hates tuna but likes salmon. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so even though they aren't healthy, perhaps a little butter or bacon grease topper? Never tried the grease myself, but I read it recommended somewhere for emergency situations. While it really isn't a great thing to feed I personally would try it before syringe feeding .

My cat gets oily and special smelling pretty regularly as she's gotten older (nearly 15). I think it's from her never grooming herself anymore, as it doesn't coincide with any vaccinations and her health is good. She only grooms her paws and tail, so with her own oil production plus any on my hands when I pet her, there's a lot to build up that isn't getting cleaned off . Giving her a thorough bath twice a year helps somewhat.

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is quite the mystery! I feel like the diarrhea is a clue to something wrong with his digestive system, which could be affecting appetite and can also make him dehydrated. Have you taken a stool sample in to the vet recently?

As for the oil on his back with the smell, it’s possible the vaccination messed up his hormones a bit. Cats have scent glands at the base of their tail that secrete oil but if it becomes overactive, it can cause a super oily back. I’m not sure if that’s what the issue is, but you can ask your vet if some side effects of the vaccination could be a hormone imbalance.
Hi. I haven't taken a stool sample in. As you know it can be tricky getting to the litter box before they've covered it up just to see what's going on. This is def a question I'll ask my vet if it continues. He pooped twice yesterday after my initial post. 1st was the same tan and mushy, the 2nd was more formed, but still super soft and tan. The saga continues.

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second the syringe feeding if necessary. Once you get the hang of the syringe it's really quick and pretty painless. Are there any treats your cat can't resist? It's not a meal but it could make him realize how hungry he is.
My cat is like yours in refusing all the tasty things other cats seem to love. No topper works with her. Stella and Chewy freeze dried morsels is her kitty crack. They have guarantee, so you can return it if your kitty doesn't like it. It sounds like you've tried tons of things so I don't blame you if you don't want to try another food.

What human food toppers have you tried? I hear good things about cheese, especially parmesan. My cat hates tuna but likes salmon. Desperate times call for desperate measures, so even though they aren't healthy, perhaps a little butter or bacon grease topper? Never tried the grease myself, but I read it recommended somewhere for emergency situations. While it really isn't a great thing to feed I personally would try it before syringe feeding .

My cat gets oily and special smelling pretty regularly as she's gotten older (nearly 15). I think it's from her never grooming herself anymore, as it doesn't coincide with any vaccinations and her health is good. She only grooms her paws and tail, so with her own oil production plus any on my hands when I pet her, there's a lot to build up that isn't getting cleaned off . Giving her a thorough bath twice a year helps somewhat.
I'll look into Stella and Chewy. The place I bought the fish oil seems to have it, so maybe when I return the oil I'll pick some up to try. I did go and get purina cat chow dry (since I have been only trying wet fancy foods) and he ate a bit of that. He did eat 1/2 can of Friskies that I also picked up. So much relief to see he had eaten that over the night. I have to go to the store today, so I'll pickup some kitten food, more friskies, a can of salmon and some parmesan cheese to try. I feel like things are looking a little more promising today.

The smell is really weird. I don't think it's from not grooming. He didn't have the smell until I brought him home from the vet and his back was definitely wet. I'm wondering if the anti-nausea shot they gave him seeped out and just got embedded in his coat. My first instinct was that the tech that put him in his carried got didn't let Purell dry before grabbing him. It's that type of smell. I also did read somewhere that bacterial infections can cause a bad or sweet smell on a cat's coat, but only one website had that, so not sure how reliable that is. But a infection would make sense with all the other symptoms. I just wish my vet had been more proactive with this instead of shrugging her shoulders and sending him on his way.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Between the purell, the shot and stress, poor baby! You are really terrific, I'm glad your furbaby has you!!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he ate the friskies, you're a great Mama. A 1/2 can is a good size meal for a cat that's probably resting and recovering. When I have cats that weren't interested in food from congestion or old age Fancy Feast Classic Beef (with the brown label) is always my go to. If it doesn't stress him out bring him in the closed bathroom when you shower and offer him food after. Even if his breathing is good the steam will clear him a little more and help the smell get his appetite going.