Cat Not Eating After All Teeth Removed

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had all of her teeth pulled this Tuesday (except for the fangs) and has not eaten since Monday night. She seems interested sometimes but after a few licks she goes back to laying down. She also hasn’t done much since she got back, just lays in the bed only getting up to drink water and go pee. Vet said her mouth was really bad so I know the poor thing is in pain.

Vet said if she’s not eating by today then I need to bring her back in this afternoon. So going to give her till about lunch time. Has anyone had experience with having all teeth pulled? How long after surgery did it take for them to eat? I’ve been mixing her pate food with warm water to try and make it like a soup, that’s helped in the past but not helping right now.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not experienced about this in cats, but I would think a "dry socket" would be as bad for a cat as it is for us. Maybe she has one. You should have seen a clot in each hole where a tooth was extracted. If you can look and see whitish bone down there (assuming you can even get to look in her mouth, as miserable as she is), that's what she might have.

The trip to the vet is in order, no matter what the cause.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not experienced about this in cats, but I would think a "dry socket" would be as bad for a cat as it is for us. Maybe she has one. You should have seen a clot in each hole where a tooth was extracted. If you can look and see whitish bone down there (assuming you can even get to look in her mouth, as miserable as she is), that's what she might have.

The trip to the vet is in order, no matter what the cause.
Yeah I haven’t tried to look in her mouth yet, doctor said it wasn’t pretty bad in there and she was really inflamed so haven’t tried to look in her mouth because I don’t want to hurt her. But yeah I’m gonna give her another hour and if she hasn’t eaten her food yet I’m gonna take her back up there

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty! :vibes: :alright:

Did the vet give any pain meds for her?
Yeah they gave me some pain medicine in a syringe to give twice a day. They also gave her some steroid shots before they sent her home. They did say to skip the pain meds last night and this morning to see if maybe that was affecting her appetite. I’m just really worried because I know they aren’t supposed to go so many hours or days without food. Since she still hasn’t eaten I got her an appointment for 3:40 today.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she drinking water? Maybe try a saucer of Kitten Milk Replacement? Use the powdered form. Then you mix only as much as you need.

Hope the vet visit goes well and she recovers soon!

Keep us updated, please!

can mix only as much as y
ou need.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like they gave her Buprenex. Did they explain how to give it? It doesn't work unless it is given in small amounts in the pocket on the side of her mouth between her teeth and the side of her mouth. It needs to be absorbed through the tissues rather then swallowed.

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah
Any updates? How did the appointment at the vet go? Please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

I thought this Article that discusses how cats manage without their teeth might be helpful for you: Can Cats Manage Without Their Teeth?
So sorry for the late follow up! But yes, she is finally eating and doing much better now. They could tell she wasn’t feeling well so they gave her a few things. First they injected her with some fluids to hydrate her, then gave her a shot of dexamethasone, cerenia to help with her stomach, and also mixed b12 in with one of those shots. They said her stomach was probably upset since her mouth was still bleeding and she was swallowing a little blood.

But once we got home I could tell she perked up quite a bit so I offered her some food and she finally ate it! Still took a few days to get her back to eating all of her food but she’s finally got her appetite back now. It looks like she also got a small cold over the last few days. But she usually gets those when shes stressed, and she definitely had a reason to get stressed with all this. I’m just glad this is all over and looking forward to seeing how she acts at home now that she won’t have anymore pain or discomfort. We had a few teeth pulled over a year and half ago, so I’m sure before that as well as between then and now she’s probably had some discomfort. So she will now be pain free.

Thank you all for your tips and concerns!! It’s so hard to see your babies in pain, and very frustrating when you can’t figure out what it is.

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she drinking water? Maybe try a saucer of Kitten Milk Replacement? Use the powdered form. Then you mix only as much as you need.

Hope the vet visit goes well and she recovers soon!

Keep us updated, please!

can mix only as much as you need.

That is an awesome suggestion!! I’ll have to remember that next time when someone isn’t eating. We foster too so we have used that several times in the past for young kittens who aren’t quite eating. The powder is much cheaper and I’ve noticed it’s more flavorful, or at least the kittens seem to enjoy it more. Not sure why I didn’t think of this.