Cat Not Eating After A Five Day Antibiotics Course!

Ahmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A wound appeared on my cat leg and when i went to the vet he gave me povidin and a pink spray to apply on the wound, also liquid medicine name augmentin for 5 days. Wound is appeared to be healing but my cat is not eating anything afterwards, i tried to give him something to eat but he isn't even licking it. Yesterday my cat had vommited for 2 times (a yellow liquid). I m worried a little help please!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome! What's your cat's name? Can you post a photo of him and of the wound? Is he finished with the Augmentin?

The Augmentin could be upsetting his stomach. Is he eating anything at all? It's very important for a cat not to go without eating for more than 48 hours because it might lead to hepatic lipidosis. Try to tempt him with something smelly, like tunafish or sardines. Baby food works well (but make sure it doesn't contain onion). A really smelly canned cat food is also great.

Please let us know how he does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ahmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here it is the wound, it is almost healed. The main issue is he is not eating anything and vomited thrice. I have been giving him ors water through syringe.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Augmentin has gastrointestinal side effects including vomitting, diarrhea and/or loss of appetite. It's possible for a cat to be hypersensitive to this medication. Therefore, I would recommend you contact your vet and inform him that your cat is not eating. silkenpaw silkenpaw is correct that it is not healthy for a cat to stop eating. Here is an Article that discusses this issue:
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?

Good luck! :goodluck: Casper is very handsome. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Lazedo Cattery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you do not so worry, Augmentin affected him so he will be tied for some days. I ussualy use Gel tube for may cats during these days. Gel tube is a product of Vibac, is a good nutrition. Good luck

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Casper is a handsome boy! The wound looks good. I would continue to keep it clean and stop the Augmentin.

Try giving him some canned cat food with the syringe. You may need to puree it and dilute it a little with water so it goes through the syringe. That way he will get water also. But, as neely neely said, he needs food. And do call the vet as soon as you can.

I hope Casper starts eating soon. Please let us know what happens.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you do not so worry, Augmentin affected him so he will be tied for some days. I ussualy use Gel tube for may cats during these days. Gel tube is a product of Vibac, is a good nutrition. Good luck
I'm not certain exactly what "Gel tube" may mean. "Vibac" is apparently a company named Virbac that manufactures (among other things) a supplemental gel that you get your cat to eat by putting it on his or her paw for the cat to lick off. I doubt that a vitamin and protein supplement is what your cat needs, however. For the current problem I would recommend a high calorie gel to put on your cat's paw. You can find several here: high calorie gel for cats - Free shipping at Chewy.com. Now, that's Chewy, which is a lovely company but is mail order, and you need something pretty much immediately. So look over what Chewy has, then go to your closest pet supply store, probably (if you're in the U.S.) PetSmart or PetCo.

Other ways to pique your cat's appetite:
  • As silkenpaw silkenpaw said, baby food. That would, of course, be a meat baby food, and it's very important that it not contain either onion or garlic, both of which are poisonous to cats.
  • Also as silkenpaw silkenpaw said, the stinkiest cat food you can find.
  • Also as silkenpaw silkenpaw said, tuna (a nice, stinky fish).
  • Either goat's milk, if you can get it, or KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer). You can get some variety of KMR (possibly under a different name) at just about any pet supply store. The goat's milk should be raw if you can get it. Either or both of these should provide calories, while appealing to your cat's memories of kittenhood. In other word, they may count as comfort food. They may also help to soothe his stomach.
Best of luck, and please keep us informed; we worry.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :catlove: :sickcat:

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ahmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank u everyone I will take him to vet again today, and will keep u all informed. May be it is happening because of augmentin but cant see him like that lying in the corney the whole time.