Cat Nose Congestion Not Going Away With Antibiotics

vanna768

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so I took my cat to the vet since she was very congested and she was sneezing a lot. The vet did a physical examination and explained to me that she may have URI so she prescribed amoxicillin and clavulanate( it's one pill) for two weeks. So I have been giving my cat the antibiotics and she is still congested. In the last two times, I gave her the medicine she threw up 1-2 hours after taking it. I have taken her into the bathroom while I run hot water in the shower so she can inhale the steam. When I tried to clean up her nose with a warm, damped cotton ball I noticed that her mucus was reddish. I called the vet and they told me to wait a little more for the antibiotics to work. Well now she's vommitting(as I mentioned above) and it's also sunday so the vet's office is closed. She's been on antibiotics for 5days now and she's stil congested. Another thing I have noticed is that when I give her treats(which are hard) she sometimes chews them and ALL the crumbs fall in the floor so she's basically eating 1/5 of her treat piece, OR she just licks the treat and looks like it hurts for her to chew on them. I am so frustrated and scared for her. Has anybody ever experienced something like this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanna768

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome, even under the circumstances!
Can you repeat the hot steamy shower?
Does she eat wet food ok?
yes, she eats wet food okay and yes I do repeat the hot showers. What concerns me is that she is still congested and she's throwing up now(after medication) and also her mucus is reddish.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are her gums red or swollen? I'm thinking she may also have gingivitis, with associated mouth pain. Also, pain can cause nausea.

Margret

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you call your vet's clinic, the after hours greeting you get should provide an emergency number.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanna768

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are her gums red or swollen? I'm thinking she may also have gingivitis, with associated mouth pain. Also, pain can cause nausea.

Margret
I honestly don't know but I will mention it to the vet when I go there. Thanks for telling me!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What color are her nasal secretions: clear to yellow or green? If clear to yellow, she probably has a viral infection and the antibiotics are to prevent a bacterial infection from also setting in. She pretty much has to get over the viral infection by herself. You are helping that with the vapor treatment (hot showers).

Look at the whole cat. How’s her appetite, activity and grooming? Since being treated, is she getting better? Worse? Staying the same? Call the vet if she’s the same or worse.

The little bit of blood in her nasal mucus is likely not a big problem. Keep an eye on it and talk to your vet if it gets worse.

Good luck and please come back to tell us what happens. :)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About the vomiting - that occasionally happens with Clavamox (amoxicillin and clavullanic a.), it can upset the cat's stomach. I hope she's holding most of her food down. If she's not, that can turn into a serious illness, so I would definitely call the vet.

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey just wondering how your kitty is doing my kitty is having similar symptoms did your cat get better ?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...my kitty is having similar symptoms
Hi Crissydee (and welcome to the forum too!)

Just for you (so not to derail the thread) here's the required Cat Flu 101 course delivered from a very reputable source: Harpsie's Website - cat flu (FVR and calici virus)

vanna768's description of a cat in a steamy bathroom is the 2018 version of "Steaming" in that article under "Treatments".

Vanna234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey just wondering how your kitty is doing my kitty is having similar symptoms did your cat get better ?
She’s still a LITTLE bit congested and the vet said that if it doesn’t go away I have to take her back for more examinations. They said she may have allergies or polyps. Haven’t taken her to the vet yet because I’m so broke Have you tried lysine powder for your cat?

Vanna234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also they also did xrays on her and they came out normal. How is your cat doing?

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s still a LITTLE bit congested and the vet said that if it doesn’t go away I have to take her back for more examinations. They said she may have allergies or polyps. Haven’t taken her to the vet yet because I’m so broke Have you tried lysine powder for your cat?

Thank you for replying yes I give Her l-lysine daily in her food and it has stopped all the symptoms but her nose she has some boogers and sneezing every once in a while her appetite and activity are fine the vet had her on 3 different antibiotics (different times) but it didn’t change anything. I also thought of allergies but she doesn’t have any other symptoms pointing to allergies. The vet also said that if it is the herpes virus that some cats immune system just can’t fully suppress it. She’s a happy kitty besides the sneezing and boogies. If she is sounding really congested I the the little steaming thing and it helps her a lot.

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying yes I give Her l-lysine daily in her food and it has stopped all the symptoms but her nose she has some boogers and sneezing every once in a while her appetite and activity are fine the vet had her on 3 different antibiotics (different times) but it didn’t change anything. I also thought of allergies but she doesn’t have any other symptoms pointing to allergies. The vet also said that if it is the herpes virus that some cats immune system just can’t fully suppress it. She’s a happy kitty besides the sneezing and boogies. If she is sounding really congested I the the little steaming thing and it helps her a lot.
Also they also did xrays on her and they came out normal. How is your cat doing?
Does you cat have the sneezies too or just congestion? And did you spay her with her being congested like that ?

Vanna234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does you cat have the sneezies too or just congestion? And did you spay her with her being congested like that ?
My cat is actually 6years old and she has been spayed for a long time. Mine has no sneezes or anything just a little wheeze here and there. Other than that mine is acting normal as well. Are you going to spay yours?

Vanna234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be scared to spay her now because what if the congestion gets worse? How old is your kitty?

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Exactly! that’s my problem I want to spay her because she’s the right age for it she’s 5 months but she got really sick when we brought her home from the shelter and after she got better she still has congestion and I feel so bad to put her through more but I’m afraid of her having behavioral problems or trying to run away when she goes into heat. But! I am so afraid to put her under anesthesia with her congestion because will what if she can’t breath So idk and sinces the vets don’t do anything besides prescribe her antibiotics which don’t help I’m kinda leaning towards no or at least not right now

Vanna234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly! that’s my problem I want to spay her because she’s the right age for it she’s 5 months but she got really sick when we brought her home from the shelter and after she got better she still has congestion and I feel so bad to put her through more but I’m afraid of her having behavioral problems or trying to run away when she goes into heat. But! I am so afraid to put her under anesthesia with her congestion because will what if she can’t breath So idk and sinces the vets don’t do anything besides prescribe her antibiotics which don’t help I’m kinda leaning towards no or at least not right now
I know I understand, my vet has done the same to me(3antibiotics and 1antiviral) different times. And I think you should wait. If she is an inside only cat I don’t think she’ll run away, but she will be very vocal. At the end it’s your decision though.