cat no longer using tray

hawaii500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'll try to condense this information down, but if there might be any pertinant information i've missed please ask!

So currently my cat has very low to no vision from retinal deterioration and is having troubles with using his cat litter. He's 16 now and has his entire life used tray without fault. A few months ago he started 'missing' the tray entirely, although he was still going in just peeing over the edge. At the time the vet and I both assumed it was athritis and I switch to a large wall container with a doorway cut out. That worked most of the time, except he would often just walk in and pee straight out the door!

Since then he vision has got markedly worse and he began not using the tray at all, although he would usually go in the same room. Now, he sometimes peesin places around th house and is not really using his tray at all. My first impression of it was that he was having difficulty finding the tray as he has to sort of feel his way around at the moment. Although I'm more sceptical of this theory now as he usually always finds the room, and goes just near by, and his No.2 is a always in the tray?

I've tried a shallow tray, medium height one, and the very tall container and doesn't seem to matter. I've read through some threads here and will try using an enzyme cleaner and switching to a new type of litter to see if that helps. Even if I can get him using the large container again, I think he would pee out the door again. I have heard that I cut the door or the side thus he would probably reorientate himself before going?

He has been very thoroughly checked recently over several vets visits and his vision is the only thing that comes up. One other thing to note, that the vet isn't sure about, is that over the last few months, he was peeing more often but in smaller amounts. I mentioned it a few times, but all his tests check out and he doesnt have any urinary issues. He does have kidney disease, although this is closely monitored and his levels have all been in an ok range and consistent.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give all the puzzle pieces as it's quite confusing. Obviously stress and the lack of vision are main factors here, but I'm not sure what other steps to take. Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I will assume that his vet had done a blood work and that he doesn’t have diabetes. It could be senior dementia, his eyesight or even just poorer bladder control. You can try setting extra large puppy pads at the front of the litter box and in any spots he seems more likely to pee in. It at least keeps the urine from doing damage and reduces your cleaning. You can also leave a light on for him as his poor vision (or his dementia) may be affecting his ability to find his way to his litterbox. It also helps seniors to have more litter boxes so they have a shorter distance to get to them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you've been to the vet several times, but BOY, this sounds like incipient crystals. Of course, his age, and with his vision problems, that could just as easily be it. As far as what to do... susanm9006 susanm9006 has it covered.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wonder if he would be happier being confined to just one room in the house. I wouldn't normally recommend shutting a cat in one room but he may feel more secure and it may help him find the litter box when he needs it. If he is suffering from dementia he may not even notice.

Does he pee just anywhere, and on any surface? My cat with kidney issues preferred cotton and at least for 5 years I kept one litter box simply lined with a layer of torn up sheets and pillowcases, which I used to wash! She would use the other litter boxes for solid matter but for some reason preferred cotton to urinate on. Vets could find nothing wrong with her other apart from her chronic kidney disorder. Even 5 days before her death, although her general condition was deteriorating, her blood results were no cause for immediate alarm.

i hope you find a solution to the problem!