cat never coughs up hairballs??

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again! I have a question regarding hairballs in one of my cats, mouse.

Shes 3 years old and they all shed disgustingly a lot. Cat hair everywhere. I try brushing them all as often as I can and everytime its like I get a whole nother cat. And I have 3. Theyre also short-haired cats.

Rarely do they cough up hairballs the other 2. But the one in particular that im talking about, NEVERR coughs them up. She like dry heaves and nothing comes up. She was just on my chest cuddling me and started doing that for a minute jerking her neck for like a minute but nothing came up.

Does this warrant a vet visit or could she be okay? She's not on any specific food, other than this vet prescribed urinary diet for one of my other cats, that they all now eat since it's easier.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, to reduce shedding, switch them to a mostly wet food diet, high in protein and low in additives. That will help with coat health and should help decrease shedding. The "dry heaving" could actually be allergies or asthma. They act like they're going to toss a hairball, but nothing comes up. I would get a vet visit and have them listen to her lungs and do a chest x-ray. You can check out Fritz the Brave's site for more info on asthma.

Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - your comprehensive resource since 2001

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, to reduce shedding, switch them to a mostly wet food diet, high in protein and low in additives. That will help with coat health and should help decrease shedding. The "dry heaving" could actually be allergies or asthma. They act like they're going to toss a hairball, but nothing comes up. I would get a vet visit and have them listen to her lungs and do a chest x-ray. You can check out Fritz the Brave's site for more info on asthma.

Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - your comprehensive resource since 2001
Thank you! And well this happens ever so rarely, and it didn't last for long either. But I think ill get it checked out just to be on the safer side.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try combing with a flea comb. It gets a lot more hair out than a brush. There is also dry food specifically for hairballs, but my vet recommended a few drops of fish oil in their food to help grease the hair through.