Cat neutered but no change in behaviour

susieeetan07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently took our cat to Advanced VetCare to be neutered. Our cat is an indoor cat but he loves to roam around to mate and so we decided to have him neutered to reduce some of his desire to mate and aggression to other cats. The vet and nurses did a wonderful job on the operation. There were no complications with regards to the procedure.

I had the impression that if a cat is neutered then these behaviours will also lessen? Like he won't want to chase girl cats or fight with other cats anymore, but my cat's still the same haha also spraying. The vet said it would take a few months for the results of neutering to take effect. Does anyone have similar experience?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you get him neutered? Has it already been a few months? If not then it's completely normal for him to still act like an intact male until his hormone levels go down, which can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months (especially if he is an adult). Neutering just prevents more hormones from being made it doesn't remove hormones already in his system, those take time to go away. Also fighting isn't all about hormones, he wont likely start a fight with other cats for a mate a few months after being neutered, but that doesn't mean he will suddenly get along with other cats if he didn't before.

Also unfortunately if your cat has been spraying for awhile before getting him neutered it can sometimes become a habit, especially if you still have other cats around like stray cats outside your house. Again though even if it doesn't stop completely it should lessen over time the longer he has been neutered.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi!
My cat also got neutered almost 2 weeks ago. Prior to that he would meow and yowl all night long to the point where we would lack sleep. His screaming would also attract others cats. It was very frustrating for us because my husband and I get up early to go to work. The same week he was schedule to get snipped was when he started humping his bed. We got him neutered, came home the same day, and he’s healing beautifully. Now, he no longer screams at night. I’m glad to say we have since been able to get some sleep and wake up in good spirits. However, the humping has not stopped. I have posted a thread as well, and most have said that it may take a while until his hormones level down. And for some cats it becomes a habit that they continue even after neutering. (I really hope he stops humping though). I would give it some time. And hopefully your kitty calms down and mellows out (&hopefully mine stops being a horn dog lol).