Cat needs home in Minneapolis

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, guys. I'm hoping maybe you can help me out or give me some advice for rehoming a kitty in Minneapolis. I've already contacted a no-kill I adopted from, as well as a friend involved in cat rescue. I am trying to sound as many horns as I can, because finding the right home is not going to be easy.

My father is very ill and can no longer take care of his cat. Problem is, he won't let me take her, and I can see why. She was previously neglected, and though indoor, has almost a semi-feral bent to her with a tendency towards aggression. My cat, on the other hand, was also neglected, but this made her fearful and submissive. I am still working on bringing her out of her shell. There's no way they could live together in peace -- I don't have enough room to keep them separate and give them both enough space.

There is a nearby no-kill cat rescue I could take her to, but if it's at all possible, I want to rehome her personally. This is the third home she'll be losing, and I want it to be the last.

She's roughly 3 years old, a pretty moggie cat. My father describes her issues as obstinance and defensiveness, and she does bite when pushed. But we both know there's a sweet cat in there. He just didn't have enough time before he got sick, or possibly his just isn't quite the right home.

She needs an experienced cat lover who can work with her and bring out the cat she could be.

Right now, she is alone in his apartment, and I am taking care of her basic needs after work. My dad lives half an hour away, there is no transit, and I can't drive. I require a friend to drive me out every time, which makes this a messy arrangement. I also don't want her alone for too long, for fear she'll become even less socialized.

Any resources, references, or potential adopters in the Minneapolis/St. Paul greater metro area, please help.

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well first of all thank you for tying to help this kitty. \

I don't see any point in giving you false hope, so I apologize if this sounds negative at all.  

I want to say first I think it is really really kind of you to want to try to find her a home personally.  However, given the situation, I would probably just take her to the no kill shelter.  This is for several reasons but honestly, the biggest one is that it is going to be VERY difficult and time consuming to find someone to take her, who truly understands the situation and will stick with her.  Even PERFECTLY social adult cats struggle to find good forever homes- you are going to need to find a really really special person who is willing to take ona  cat that is or acts semi feral.  People who are willingly going to take on a  cat with problems are REALLY few and far between. 

I believe that in this situation, a no kill shelter will be in a better position than you to quickly find this kitty a home.  If they do not find her a home, you can at least rest assured that (while her life won't be ideal there either) she will probably unfortunately be able to get more socialization than you are currently able to provide.  You can also rest assured that if she finds a home and the home doesn't want to keep her, the no kill shelter will most likely take her back. People who are looking at a no kill shelter also tend to be at least slightly more 'aware' of the issues cats face than those looking randomly on Craigslist or the like for a kitten in my experience, but YMMV I suppose.

My opinion on this is heavily influenced by the minimal interaction and care kitty is getting now.  While in NO WAY your fault, I don't think the current situation is healthy for her and I just do not see you finding her a good home quickly or possibly at all if working alone.

If you do want to try to rehome her yourself, I recommend posting flyers in vets offices, trying craigslist, and also using word of mouth as much as you can.  Be VERY VERY careful when interviewing people who say they want to take her though, especially if they are from craigslist.  I know you already are aware of this, but it is VERY important that you are 100% honest about your issues and that you believe whoever takes her is committed for the long haul.

Good luck with all of this 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you tulosai. I know I'm kind of hoping against hope, here.

I won't leave her in this situation for any more than a week. It's just not ok. I'm going to look more into how she does with cats, and how Pia does with cats. I want to try if it isn't totally insane to do so.

I am not willing to put a kitty like this up on Craig's List. I've reached out to probably a dozen people and organizations at this point, so if nothing else, she's on their radar for admittance to a no kill (many of them have waiting lists), but I'm gong to try my hardest to avoid it.

Last edited:

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you tulosai. I know I'm kind of hoping against hope, here.

I won't leave her in this situation for any more than a week. It's just not ok. I'm going to look more into how she does with cats, and how Pia does with cats. I want to try if it isn't totally insane to do so.

I am not willing to put a kitty like this up on Craig's List. I've reached out to probably a dozen people and organizations at this point, so if nothing else, she's on their radar for admittance to a no kill (many of them have waiting lists), but I'm gong to try my hardest to avoid it.
Aw, more vibes.  I really do wish I had better advice/something more uplifting to say.  It would be amazing if you could take her in but of course you can't force it and you have to do what is best for your current resident and yourself 

Please keep us updated. I know we all really hope it will go well for you. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lillin - :hugs: I am so sorry to hear about your father being ill and the now situation with the kitty. My hope for this kitty is to come to live with you - somehow. With you and your other cat. I think it is at least worth a try and I have a suggestion if you are willing. At least until you can find a suitable place for your dad's cat - this may work. Many of us use cages to bring in another cat into our home of already existing resident kitties. A cage is a great way for the cats to see each other safely and acclimate to the smell of each other without direct contact. It really works well. I am going to post a thread here so you can see the crate option and there are links to cage sizes and brands in that thread. I have always used the Midwest Cat Playpen as the kitty can have some vertical space option.

I really think it may be worth a try - this may just work out very well. And, don't be worried about your dad's cat being confined to a crate!!! It would only be temporary - maybe a couple of weeks to see how the two will interact to each other. Anyway - just a thought and another option until something opens up at a rescue !!

Here is a post from Pawley's ( a feral currently being socialized via the crate method ) with a link to the play pen. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/270195/pawley-and-all-of-us-could-use-your-vibes/60#post_3482047

In this thread there are dog crate sizes that some of us also use for a new kitty : http://www.thecatsite.com/t/271529/crate-size-for-introductions

ALSO - a good article on the how to's of introducing cats http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Last edited:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey, guys. Update time!

So the bad news is that my dad absolutely refused to let me take her. And I can see his point, having spent a bit more time with her.

But there's goods news!

I found her a temporary home, and I have a shelter who will be sponsoring an ad for her on PetFinder. So hopefully she will be adopted soon.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found her a temporary home, and I have a shelter who will be sponsoring an ad for her on PetFinder. So hopefully she will be adopted soon.
Good to hear and lots of vibes that she will find the perfect guardian to love and care for her FOREVER!!! :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update!

KITTY HAS A HOME! And I didn't have to put her in a shelter!

She was with her foster, a friend of mine, for a few weeks. He really enjoyed her, but couldn't keep her long term unfortunately.

My best friend was talking about her to one of her friends, and after meeting her and playing a bit, he decided to take her home. So far, they're off to a good start. He's got his own place and a reasonably predictable schedule, and he appreciates her slight "wildness." She is already showing affection towards him, and a willingness to learn how to be a bit more gentle. I will wait a week to make sure this is working out, and then I will be taking down her PetFinder ad.

No shelter, and consistent social contact in a home during this whole process (apart from those few days alone at the start). I couldn't be happier.

My father has unfortunately passed away in the mean time. I wish he knew she found a home, but he did know she was safe and in foster.

But his kitty has actually calmed down a lot in her foster. I know my dad was a great cat owner, and I also know that he was having an easier time with her in the past. So what gives? Why did she seem to be back-sliding in the last few months with him? I thought at first maybe it just seemed harder as his energy levels dropped.

But I am going through his things, and I am starting to realize that perhaps his health was actually affecting her behavior. They had gotten along really well for most of the time they were together, but it seems she became more freaked out in the last months she was with him.

I also noticed when he came over to my place the last time, my Pia kitty was a little bewildered by him and wouldn't get too close, but she had always liked him in the past.

And then I thought of this.

http://pets.thenest.com/cancersniffing-cats-9722.html

My father died of cancer, which was diagnosed very late and in the terminal stage (as is common with the type he had). And in the last week or so, I could actually smell it myself. If you look around online a bit, it's not uncommon for people to report smelling cancer, once it's quite advanced. But cats have better sniffers than we do.

Both Pia and my dad's cat had traumatic pasts, so whereas a better adjusted cat might try to get on you and comfort you... is it possible they reacted by becoming scared of the smell?

It wouldn't have made a difference with the kind of cancer he had -- extremely aggressive and nearly always fatal no matter what stage it's in. But the more I think about it, the more I believe they both could smell it much sooner than I could. Perhaps that's why his kitty was acting a little crazier than she had been and seemed to be losing ground in her socialization.

I don't know, but I do know kitty is happy now, and in a good home which will hopefully, finally be her forever home. My dad would have given her that if he could have. He wasn't old, and while this probably would have been his last cat either way, he thought he'd at least get to see her through her life.

Maybe they'll see each other at the Bridge, and she'll get to let him know she found a good home. I miss him.

Last edited: