Cat needs a friend

cleobub

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my almost 2 year old cat is starved for intra-animal companionship, but her current roommate (her biological mother) wants nothing to do with her (excessive growling, hissing, running away, even escalated to spitting). They have been together 24/7 since the baby was born, and my vet told me this can happen with mom/daughter cats.

The baby was an “only-child” (mom/daughter found on the streets just the two of them, mom was carrying baby around in her mouth), and even when she was in her foster family with other kittens, wanted to play with them all the time. Unfortunately they didn’t want to play with her because she was tubby for her age and a little aggressive because the only cat she ever played with was her mom who is a behemoth.

Anyone been in a similar situation where their cat is starved for animal companionship? I’ve been thinking about adopting another animal regardless for the past year, dog or cat, but worried that more rejection from another animal might be too much for the baby.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Home-raised kittens are super adaptable (if raised by decent folks anyway) and will almost always befriend a willing older cat. Very young kittens are very adaptable in general, but if you are worried about it, get a home-raised kitten.

You still need to isolate the kitten for, minimum, a few days in a safe room to give it time to adjust, and watch your resident cat for signs of difficulty adjusting to a newcomer. Even on the kitten side, it can take up to a week or so if the kitten is a little on the shyer side. But it will be fine soon enough -- if the resident cat is going to behave as you are anticipating.

Don't be surprised if your resident needs a bit of an adjustment period despite the friendlyness you have observed with other cats in the past, and growls and hisses for a time. Its something that happens quite a bit. So you may actually need to do a fullsome introduction process lasting several weeks. Or not -- won't know until you see how it goes.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and ditch that dog idea. Sorry. It is super cute when dogs and cats become friends, and it is far from impossible, especially if you get a puppy. But a kitten is without doubt easier, and since you are worried about your cat getting along with the new pet, stick with the safer option.