Cat nails?

wykedkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed you are against declawing cats. I would like to kindly as all of you to educate me on it. Why you're against it, what are the risks, what do you do with a cat that is tearing your furniture apart, etc. This isn't meant to be a debate. I will say I thought about it but then I felt it would be mean. I have never done it to my cats. But I would love to know your views on it, because I really don't know much about it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a good question @WykedKitty

Getting cats declawed is illegal in every country I've ever lived in, so it's not something I've ever had to consider. It is quite a painful procedure for the cat, can result in joint pain, litter box avoidance, biting and even neurological damage from having to be so heavily anesthetized during the procedure.

These articles explain in more detail.

[article="22411"]Why Cats Should Not Be Declawed​[/article]  

[article="29644"]A Personal Look At Declawing​[/article]  

[article="29667"]Declawing And Alternatives​[/article]  

There are alternatives if your cat is clawing the furniture. The easiest thing to do is make sure your cats claws are properly trimmed and that she or he has plenty of scratching posts around the house. There are also Soft Paws caps which you can put on to cover their claws.

https://www.softpaws.com/

The colours in some of them! You and kitty could get a matching manicure!

You can also try things like Scratch-Not sprays.

http://www.nutri-vet.com/scratch-not-spray-for-cats/

There are loads of different sprays out there. I make my own from citrus oil, lemon juice and water. Cats don't like the citrus smell on their paws so don't scratch where you've sprayed. You just have to remember to spray every day.

Mainly I think it comes down to being more concerned for my cats well being than I am for the state of my furniture.

I'm glad you've decided not to get your cat de-clawed.