Cat mouth problem after tooth removed - just an infection? Pix

iluvcats3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so MamaCat, my semi-tamed feral kitty, had a broken tooth on the left side, which I didn't know about, which abcessed, which was removed about 3 weeks ago by the vet. Idk which tooth.  I had her on Baytril, 22.7 mg tabs for 6 days (was supposed to be 7 but the cat is very difficult to give the medicine too. I had to grind it up and suspend it in water and syringe it into her mouth).

Well, it's infected again, and the vet I go to is a husband wife team. The husband vet is the one who saw the cat & later pulled the tooth. he wife vet never saw the cat. I brought these pix today, and the wife vet looked at it, but I didn't talk to her today - all relayed thru the vet techs. She said just do the antibiotics like was planned (BEFORE I took pix of my kitty meowing and yawning and saw how bad it really is).  I only spoke to the vet techs, who then remembered the husband vet has jury duty tomorrow and won't be in, and no, the wife vet can't take the pix home for him to look at them. idk why.  I get it that they might not want to bring their work home, but now I know NOTHING what is wrong with kitty, and I had a cat die of mouth cancer 3 years ago so I'm very upset. They know she is a feral kitty and difficult to bring her in, I bring my other kitties in,  and I always pay my bills right away etc. so it's probably no issues with me. I'm still upset the vet didn't tell me anything and now her husband is unavailable until whenever and are the pix just gonna get lost?

So here are the pix:

e

Does this look like ordinary swelling from an infection after a tooth was pulled? the plan was to give her clindamyacin twice a day for 2 weeks (75 mg, 12 pound cat) if she will eat them in the pill pockets or a piece of cheese (looks like she won't), otherwise once a day Baytril which I will have to suspend in water and syringe.  Every time I try something new, it's another 35 mile one way trip to the vet. That is eye discharge from her eye on the same said, and I believe it was pink tinged last night, pretty sure, but I am somewhat color blind. 

Tx for any advice. i am so upset thinking it is mouth cancer. That's how it went with the other kitty - bad tooth, pulled, then infected again a couple weeks later, then brought him back to vet and it was cancer :-(

Last edited:

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it doesn't look normal at all. There should not be that much swelling. I hope he is on pain medication. If this veterinarian won't recheck your cat, jury duty or not, I think you need to find another vet. But that doesn't look right to me. Do you know if it was one of the four canines he removed? I know you don't know which toothe but I can't tell from the picture. I wouldn't just switch up antibiotics because without a culture you don't know what kind of super bug you might be creating. The baytril is a hard hitting antibiotic and soon if they keep switching them you will wind up with a resistant bacteria that is hard to treat. Is there a foul smell from the mouth? I wonder if the jaw may be fractured. it does happen. I would definitely make sure the cat is eating soft food and drinking. Needs to be seen ASAP. I wonder what the temp. is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvcats3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I will take her to another vet tomorrow but I am undecided because she is an adult feral I have been taming for a very long time and all this medical stuff really sets me back with her. I am angry with these vets for being unavailable for followup problems and I have never liked the vet techs there. I am in a rural area and there is a lack of choice. I couldn't even give the cat her Baytril tonight because she is still half feral and I couldn't hold her well enough and now she is hiding behind a huge pile of lumber in the outbuilding she lives in. She can't be lured with food because she's eating poorly since yesterday.  I don't know why they couldn't give her a shot when she had the procedure done. Her mouth doesn't smell.  I saw from reading about cat tooth pulling that it is easy for a vet to accidentally fracture the jaw and I hope that didn't happen. In an hour or so, I will try going out and sit in the recliner I put in the building and see if she will come up on my lap for pets and try the antibiotic tomorrow, I guess. She refused the clindamyacin in pill pockets.  She isn't eating well, but does eat some dry food and hard treats (I switched to the little ones with air holes that are easier to chew). I have lots of Fancy Feast around because my old cats with kidney disease are fussy eaters and she won't eat that. I was hoping to get the antibiotic into her and soon she feel better and eat. idk which tooth was pulled - these photos shocked me and I wish I had thought of taking pix when she was mewing before. I can't look in a cat mouth for 2 seconds and see what's wrong like a vet can. tx for your response. I am quite upset over my cat.

iluvcats3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, husband vet did call this morning - stopped by before jury duty and looked at the pix. He said either do antibiotics 2 weeks and see how she does, or bring her in to be sedated so he could look her over carefully, but the impression I got from the vet tech was that the alternative to infection was mouth cancer, and I already been there done that with a previous kitty, and it's not treatable (not in people either, I seem to recall).  (I should be fair - I was upset last night- it is only one vet tech I have trouble with there). You can hack the jaw off (which in this kitty it is the lower jaw, whereas my previous kitty was upper jaw) to buy a little time.  I am extremely worried about my cat, but I'm 99.9% sure it's not cancer because she did have a broken tooth which is an obvious smoking gun why she got the abscess. I think the abscess has broken thru though because there is a big blood spot on the bottom of her jaw now since late last night and I will have to try and get a pic of it, but she is hiding from me now.  So my husband and I are going to clear all the lumber out of her room in this outbuilding, and shut the glass doors we installed for winter use to keep her in there, so I have a good chance to catch her once a day for the Baytril. I keep reminding myself, at least my IBD and CKD indoor kitty is taking her pills in pill pockets and cheese and doesn't object too much to the metronidizole,  so she is easy.  I hope some other people who have been there done that comment here, because it does help to get some moral support and some of these tips folks have do help.

Last edited:

paigelovekittys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hve a cat I cant figure outWhat breed he is help plz he's black grey white and lloks like a. Noregan forest cat but is amix of sometipe hlp plz thx

iluvcats3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have to start a thread on a new topic - I think what you do is click on the forum you want to post on, scroll to the end of the postings, and there is a "new topic" button to click on or something like that. You can upload and post pix of your cat too with the button next to the filmstrip and smiley face. Most kitties are mutts, though. i'm in the US so I call them All American Alley Cats (nice assonance there).