Cat morning aggression getting worse

Kacox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could use some help about my cat being aggressive every morning because honestly I'm going absolutely insane and I'm going to rip my hair out.

My two cats were introduced to each other later in life, Keith M and Greta F, about 2 years ago and they got accustomed to each other but not really lovey-dovey. They both usually have their way of waking me up to eat breakfast when they hear my alarms by rubbing their cheeks on my face, or being cute and sweet in general. For months now that has stopped because Keith has decided to be a terrorist and I get woken up to the sound of them trying to box EVERY SINGLE MORNING.

I have a couple theories as to why this is happening. Either he has too much energy lately and I need to play with him more, or he is redirecting his aggression at Greta because he hasn't gotten the chance to attack what he really wants to attack.

Our living situation for the past year has involved us living in the same house with two other cats, M and F as well. We keep them separate but sometimes they see each other. Before moving here, my cats used to get after each other in the evenings, but they were never this bad in the morning. Its progressed from not at all at the beginning, to every now and again for a while, and then a few months ago to being every single morning and has halted their usual morning routine. This living situation is ending in a few weeks, and I'm desperately hoping this gets better.

It just keeps getting worse and worse and earlier and earlier. It's depriving me of sleep at this point and it's a rude way for me to wake up. The only thing that stops him is feeding them, but I feel like it's rewarding and reinforcing this as a proper way to wake me up for food. I am seriously at a loss for what to do, I don't know what to do. I have tried playing with him at night before bed for a good 20 minutes, and it used to work but it hasn't been helping lately. I can't live like this and I want things to go back to normal.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You're right, It's because of the other cats. Due to things changing in a few weeks, can you get up early enough to halt the morning chaos, and also utilize some calming products if you aren't already. This is no fun for your cats either, and it's just very stressful all around.

When the other cats have moved out, their litterboxes hopefully will also be removed. Anything left behind that might smell of them will need to be washed.

Additionally, try this;
either with vanilla or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;

From valanhb valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kacox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lately it feels like the earlier I get up, the earlier they start this nonsense. If I get up at 9 they start at 8, if I get up at 8 they start at 7, and so on.

I have 3 multi cat defusers set around the areas they frequent, they used to help a lot but have stopped working since this issue started to arise.

I will definitely have to try the scent thing. It's vanilla extract okay if they end up licking it? I don't want them to get sick, he has already had a poison scare in the past because he's the problem child.

I figured I'm going to have to reintroduce them when I move, I'm just hoping that the damage hasn't gotten so far that I'll never know peace again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vanilla is ok (or maybe don't place it at the base of their tails), and you could try the coconut as it's safe to ingest as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure I am entirely clear on all the specifics, but I do have some questions to ask - do they have food left out overnight to eat if they get hungry? If not, how long of a time passes between their last meal of the day and the morning meal?

It sounds like Keith is creating havoc, but only with Greta. So, while Keith may know the other cats are somewhere in the house, the aggression is only happening in the morning, correct? If he were upset by the other cats, I would think the aggression would be ongoing - not just in the morning. It does sound like it is a form of re-directed aggression, but given the timeline, it would seem that the food is the source of the problem, and he is taking his frustrations out on Greta. I am not saying that he isn't being stressed by the other cats, but it could be that he is instinctively focused on the food situation to internally address his stress.

Kacox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Free feeding and leaving food out has never worked for either of them, I only just got Gretas weight under control from free feeding her when I first got her.
I feed them usually 3 times a day over a 12 or so hour period, the biggest meal being at night.

He has been terrorizing her at any time through out the day except when they're sleeping. I don't know what they do during the day when I'm gone, but I have noticed clumps of her hair laying around more though nobald spots appear. He gives chase relentlessly and tries to pounce on her. That was usual behavior every now and again because he wanted to play but I have noticed it has gotten more intense and more frequent. Sometimes it's still him trying to play but I can tell when he is just being a jerk.

The mornings is just when it's the most intense, the most frustrating, and the hardest to manage. Also this wasn't a problem until after moving here with this situation, they were generally very sweet in the morning.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple posters on other threads have had great success with using a towel and rubbing the blanket on the "victim", and then the "agresser" and then around the territory. Especially to the entrance of where the other cats live. Maybe doing this every few days could help build that family scent and he'll feel more secure about his territory.

Do they get wet or dry food? Is it in a bowl or in a food enrichment of some kind? If possible, I would recommend food enrichment instead of a regular bowl, to help get some mental energy out. Even a lick-mat is helpful if it's wet food.

If he's getting that hungry, you may try making his portion a bit bigger, or leaving a small amount of kibble our for "hunting" over night. I leave about an 1/8 of a cup out like this and put 2-4 peices in different spots, sometimes under toys etc and it keeps them busy for a bit but also keeps them moving for the food so that it's calories in but calories out.

Reintroducing them may be beneficial like you mentioned.

Of course, increasing enrichment and play always helps to get that nervous energy out of the body so he's causing less havoc.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You said you're moving in a few weeks. Have you been packing then? I am because cats (in my opinion) act like autistic kids. Above all, they do NOT like change. And if they've noticed something happening, such as packing up stuff or even you being stressed, it will directly affect them.
It's just a thought.

Kacox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A Alldara I will look into a lick mat. It's usually dry food, I try to do wet food once a day but sometimes I don't have the time.

I do have a couple food puzzles so I'll try keeping those stocked up. I will also try leaving a few pieces here and there for them to find throughout the house.

I do what I can for enrichment but sometimes they ignore everything unless I am personally controling it.

tyleete tyleete i haven't actually started packing yet, he is just straight up a terrorist. Stress has been somewhat of a thing so maybe he has been sensing that from me and acting out cause of that as well.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
K Kacox I understand. Our boys do the same with enrichment sometimes. They've been particularly clingy lately, but we know why.

How do they respond to catnip or silvervine? Magnus really likes it to help himself chill out. He gets really rolly and playful for a bit and then settles in.