Cat more vocal and needy after move?

keirarizu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers!

Just a bit of backstory here- I adopted my 5 year old Bennie back in the beginning of June, while we were living at my boyfriends house, which he shared with three other people and two other cats.

Three months later we have moved out into a bigger house, way more room and way less people. Bennie has always been an independant cat, who came for snuggles but was cool doing his own thing. Now he is meowing everywhere, following us where ever we go, and we have found him up on his hind legs, looking around and meowing for something.

I suspect he is looking for his old kitty mates, and is feeling lost with out them- with the added bonus of being in a strang new house.

Its been about a week and hes still meowing and wandering. I know it will take time but I was thinking of getting him a kitty companion soon- but the question is- how long should I wait before getting a new cat?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers!

Just a bit of backstory here- I adopted my 5 year old Bennie back in the beginning of June, while we were living at my boyfriends house, which he shared with three other people and two other cats.

Three months later we have moved out into a bigger house, way more room and way less people. Bennie has always been an independant cat, who came for snuggles but was cool doing his own thing. Now he is meowing everywhere, following us where ever we go, and we have found him up on his hind legs, looking around and meowing for something.

I suspect he is looking for his old kitty mates, and is feeling lost with out them- with the added bonus of being in a strang new house.

Its been about a week and hes still meowing and wandering. I know it will take time but I was thinking of getting him a kitty companion soon- but the question is- how long should I wait before getting a new cat?
If Bennie is used to being around other cats then I agree that he is probably looking for his friends.  I think getting Bennie a companion would be a great idea. I don't think you need to wait longer.  I think the sooner this done the more it will help Bennie.  It sounds to me like he is independent with people but was really bonded with your prior roommates cats and is missing that bond.  It sounds like to me like you have enough space in your current home to do proper cat introductions.  Make sure that when you go to get another cat you let the place your are adopting from know you are looking companion for your cat.  How old where the cats in your old place that he was bonded with?  I would adopt at the age of his former kitty roommates or close to his age. A young kitten may have to much energy for a five year old cat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keirarizu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If Bennie is used to being around other cats then I agree that he is probably looking for his friends.  I think getting Bennie a companion would be a great idea. I don't think you need to wait longer.  I think the sooner this done the more it will help Bennie.  It sounds to me like he is independent with people but was really bonded with your prior roommates cats and is missing that bond.  It sounds like to me like you have enough space in your current home to do proper cat introductions.  Make sure that when you go to get another cat you let the place your are adopting from know you are looking companion for your cat.  How old where the cats in your old place that he was bonded with?  I would adopt at the age of his former kitty roommates or close to his age. A young kitten may have to much energy for a five year old cat. 
Thank you so much :) The other cats were about his age (one was 3, the other 5). He used to follow and chase Sirus everywhere, though Ziggy was the only one who could play fight on his level lol.

I was planning on adopting one this coming Sunday- but was worried it would be too soon with the stress of the move- though he has adapted well to the new house for the most part. I hate seeing my Bennie so sad and lonely~ :(

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get Bennie to play try adding more playtime to your routine. The extra playtime may help distract him from looking for his friends short-term.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keirarizu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive been playing with him best I can- but he really does prefer to play with other cats (hes a total bully, but he never gets too rough). But he will chase his mouse ball when I rol it passed him [emoji]9786[/emoji]️

Now he is lying at my feet so contently~ he truely is such a loving cat, and I just want him to be happy