Cat Meows Strangely

MegShort

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 9 month old kitty Isabella didn’t meow at all for the first couple months that we had her. Sometimes she opened her mouth as if she was trying to meow, but no sound came out. Only about a month or two ago did we hear her actually start meowing, but it is still very rare (maybe once a week or less) and it always sounds odd. It comes out sounding raspy and kind of croaky, and sometimes she still opens her mouth as if to meow, with no sound. She also sometimes makes a sort of chattering sound.

We got her from a farm and she was pretty sick at the time. Respiratory infection, ear mites, fleas, etc. All of that was taken care of, but our theory for a while was that since we was so sick at an early age, perhaps that affected her ability to meow. Not sure if that can actually happen or not. However, when she went into heat recently for the first time, she yowled (loudly, I might add) just like any other cat I’ve ever heard. It didn’t sound raspy or anything at all. So I’m not sure why her regular meows still sound so weird.

Anyway, this isn’t a pressing issue or anything as I know she’s healthy, and it’s not a problem, but it’s something I’ve always been curious about. Anybody else experience something like this? Could it actually be from her being sick so young? Is it normal for cats to try and meow and for no sound to come out? Is it normal to have a raspy, croaky sounding meow, or for them to make a chattering sound? Thanks in advance! :)

haythewxgeek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My last kitty who is now missing had a weird, quiet meow. Might check with the vet

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister had a cat, Lilli, that had a raspy meow and my Remy has the same sort of meow. I don't really know Remy's history all that much, but Lilli came from my aunt and uncle's hobby farm and was the litter mate of my Willow who did have a normal meow. I don't recall Lilli being sick that much as a kitten so maybe some cats just have raspy meows.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be in heat again. It would be best to make a spay appointment now. Do you need help finding a low cost spay clinic in your area?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have her vet checked. Cats can have throat infections me and they tonsillitis that affects their meow.