Cat Meows And Murmurs At The Door.

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys my 1 year old male cat suddenly has started to loudly meow at the door when im home. I took him out on a leash a few days ago ( i mostly held him ) and i placed him down and let him explore in the park. After that he has been constantly begging to go out. Any tips?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you give him a screened open window?
Could you hang a bird feeder where he can watch them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has a window to look out from with the blinds on. He watches for 10 minutes gets bored and meows at the door :/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have created an interest in him about being outside. Are you planning on taking him out regularly? If so, do it! If not, then you will have to endure a week or two - or three - for him to realize that outdoors is not a routine he is going to have in his future.

Sorry for asking, but is he neutered? You know why I am asking...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like ‘mom I want to go out to play!’ Try taking him out the at the same time every day so he knows when he gets outside time. It may take a couple of weeks for him to learn, until then ignore him or distract him. My boy has learned when I show him his harness he gets to go outside, so he gets on the foot stool I always put him (to put his harness on) on to speed things up.

*cats do not do daylight savings, so try to adjust your outside time schedule for that.
*a wet food dinner or treats are always a good idea when he comes inside.
*i use the same words every time ‘outside’ & ‘home’ so he can learn their meaning.
*my boy loves spending 15 minutes staring at a bush, hunting birds or lizards. I let him.
*I would start by letting him explore right outside your door until he gets all confident (leaving the front door open a crack for this part, so he can run back to safety should make him feel more secure.) When he gets bold and confident for 3-7 days then you can get him to go a little further. With cats it is all about patience and repetition.
:goodluck: