Cat Meowing (sorry for the ramble)

cartwrightna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not exactly sure where best to put this - It maybe health related but it's a behavior i'm trying to track down so I think here is best.

I have two cats Gizmo and Dale - Gizmo I inherited from an old room mate's girlfriend. He's an odd cat with a lot of strange behaviors...for instance you can't pick him up NOR pet him with two hands w/o losing an arm. But this isn't about him
. Gizmo is about 6 years old...

My other cat, the one in question, is a little over 4 years old. I got him from the humane society during a pet adoption thing at Pets Mart. When I got him was pretty sick with some sort of respiratory issue. Three times now I've had to take him to the vet for wheezing including when I first got him. The vet and I noticed a pattern that the breathing problems occur around the same time every year and perhaps it's allergies. I was moving soon so we decided to not test for anything since the environment would be changing. Not Exactly what i'm asking about here but a little background.

So...I got a new job in February that requires/allows me to work from home. I started doing so 2-5 days a week. Dale (my cat) during the day meows constantly. I first thought he was begging for food so I'd feed him (soft food - I leave dry food out all day and they eat at will) but that would only stop the meowing for a little while. He'd meow more and then give up and lay on my desk or next to me on the couch depending on where I was/am working. I only use to notice this wanting attention behavior when it was time for them to eat soft food about 5:30PM every day and from both cats.

I just moved to a much larger house (went from 750sq ft apartment to a 2475 sqft house). Needless to say it was a shock for both cats. They found comfort in the kitchen cabinets for a few days. At first they'd only come out when it was dark and for the most part they're out now.

To add to the stress I guess - My brother moved in with me too. Dale has always been a little uneasy about other people in the house and seems that he still is...he comes out when my brother isn't home but still clings to me and meows...again like it's feeding time and he's hungry.

I'm concerned for a few reasons....

1. He's only 10LBS when I took him to the vet a month ago. The vet did not say anything about his weight nor that he's pretty thin under his long fur.
2. If this is truly a "i'm hungry feed me" behavior something is either wrong or he's not getting what he needs out of the food. Which I should add I feed them fancy feast hard food and fancy feast delights or what ever for soft food.
3. I can't get much work done because he won't leave me alone!

so - I know this was a ramble but i'm looking for a few things...Would you agree that the wanting attention and meowing could be that he's hungry...If so please suggest a food that is more filling and what could be causing his hunger if this is indeed a hunger thing? I need something to tell the vet...because when I told him last time he either didn't care or forgot.

thx in advance

mewsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is like this. He has the innate urge to follow at your heels and meow pitifully like he's starving. However, trust me in this, he is not. The little pig.

When I sit down, I have an attachment immediately in the form of a giant, fuzzy kitty. I've gotten used to this.

But all in all, it seems like he just wants your love and attention. As you should know, cats want to be the center of everything you do, even if they're in the way. You being home, but busy, probably gets him all in a huff about his daily quota of undivided attention not being filled.

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my cats meow quite a bit, but they let me know for what. If it's attention, they jump up next to me. If it's dry food or to open a door for them, they try to lead or herd me to it. And if it's treat/soft food/begging they mew INCESSANTLY and get underfoot and nearly trip me.

But I'm not actually writing you about the meowing. I have a cat with wheezing that I thought at times might be hairballs, allergies, respiratory infection. In fact she IS very allergy-prone. Also underweight and doesn't eat much (though that has recently improved). Her wheezing was more common in winter/spring and sometimes caused by exercise.

It turns out she has asthma, which can be life-threatening, but is usually treatable. I just wanted to toss that out there because MANY vets never even think of it in a wheezing cat and misdiagnose. Just in case ...

As for food, I don't have a lot of advice, except that grains are not a good cat food ingredient. They really need a high quality protein source, and are not made to digest grains (which can also exacerbate allergies). I have fed mostly Solid Gold and Kirkland's. One I got wholesale, and the other due to the cost/quality ratio is one of the best. There are better foods out there though. I've also made my own food at times (I have a farm and have access to high quality ingredients).

More just giving bits of info than advice ... I hope you get things sorted out. Some cats just ARE very clingy and affectionate/demanding/needy.

BTW, does he get a good playtime every day?

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Dale's thin, or thinner at least, then he may have a thyroid problem, though hyperthyroidism is usually only found in older cats. Some symptoms of hyperthyroidism in cats are weight loss even with a huge appetite, and excessive vocalizing. I thought it was NIGHT vocalizing, but I guess it could be just lots of meowing all the time. When we adopted Dorothy, before I got her to the vet for her initial exam, she meowed loudly ALL NIGHT LONG for 5 very long nights before getting test results back (she did have hyperthyroidism) and starting her on meds. After the 2nd day on the meds, she was quiet at night! She'll still sometimes talk at random times for no apparent reason, but not like before.

So you might want to ask you vet about it and possibly get him tested, even though he's pretty young yet. It's best to catch hyperthyroidism early on before it messes with the other organs like kidneys and heart.

Or, it could just be Dale's personality. Some cats are talkers..

Good luck!