cat meowing a lot, stressing us out

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have an 8 month old male cat. he got neutered 2 weeks back and im starting to lose hope that his behaviour would ever change.

he does this strange thing where he runs upstairs and just meows and kind of growls.then he comes to me and meows more. i ignore him and don't give i but he still hasnt quite understood it.

i let him out in the garden and keep my eye on him so he doesn't get away. and he has lots of fun and rolls in the sand. but the days i am busy and cant take him out he starts pawing the sliding door and takes me to the sliding door in hopes that i would let him out. i dont know whether i should just stop taking him to the garden altogether or what.

some people recommended that i take him out only when hes good and quite. but when he is good and im about to tale him out he starts meowing again in excitement.

also i tried to really make my home fun for him with lots of toys, boxes, bags, and shelves. but its never enough and he starts crying right after hes done playing.

we took him to the vet for a checkupand he was perfectly healthy. so this is definitely a behavioural problem.

please let me know if there is any product or some specific toys or a method that i can use to help him to stop meowing. tysm <3

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can set a time everyday to take him out. Maybe get a special alarm to go off before outside time.

Or try calling him to the door & having him do a simple trick before he goes outside. I give my boy treats when he comes inside. I forgot one time and he sat on his foot stool and meowed for his treats to remind me! 🤣 I make Jackie get up on the cube/footstool so I can put his harness on without bending so much.When Hackie won’t come I ignore him and try again in a half hour. In your case you might try putting him in a room for 5-15 minutes (if he is being really obnoxious at the sliding glass door) then open the door, call him to the sliding glass door & let him out on a good note. ⭐Oh and my twerp can open the sliding glass door if it isn’t locked. 🤦🏻‍♀️

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe get a large dog crate or kennel or build a catico (cat enclosure) for him outside. If you have one that has a window that can open up into it, it would be easy to let him out. Once a cat goes outside it is really hard to teach them not to. I had one cat that even over years did not quit until we gave in. It would be a compromise that would make everyone happy. You could always get him a kitten brother, that would keep him busy, he may be lonely, and two cats are really no harder to care for than one. (a boy, girls don't play like two boys do.) He must have some Oriental somewhere in his background to 'talk' so much, they always do. Meowing is the cat's way of communicating, he is trying to tell you something. Cats are not spiteful or do things like this on purpose, he is trying to make you understand....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may just be a chatty cat. There are certainly a lot of them around. Some are non-stop talkers. Since ignoring him doesn't seem to be working, try having a "conversation" with him. You're going to feel remarkably silly at first, if you aren't in the habit of talking to your cat, but sometimes just the interaction seems to satisfy them. "MEOW!" "Oh, really, I did not know that!" Meow. "Well, thank you for telling me. Yes, it is quite interesting!"

Lord, I talk to my cat all day!
1615638873660.png