Cat maybe allergic to revolution?

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! So back at my moms house they have a bit of a flea problem. For the past 4 months they've been on revolution, but now we think one of the cats maybe allergic to it?? The others are fine and we will be continuing treatment for them, but right now we're unsure of what to do for this one.

Everytime we put it on her she loses a patch of hair right where we put the treatment. Other than that she doesnt seem to have any symptoms with it. I called the vet today and asked if theres any other option than the topical treatment but they said they don't have anything else. I'm going there next week for one of our cats but I want to discuss it with the vet when I go there.

Does anyone have this issue with revolution too or any other issues? What else did yous do?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't, but you are doing the right thing. Delay the treatment until you see the vet. There are some very good oral flea medications available, as well, and you don't end up with that oily coat for a day or two.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are they on Revolution or Revolution Plus? Two totally different products. Ask about Advantage II instead - don't know where you are located, but Adv II is non-prescription for me, and you can always search the internet for the differences between all of them.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they on Revolution or Revolution Plus? Two totally different products. Ask about Advantage II instead - don't know where you are located, but Adv II is non-prescription for me, and you can always search the internet for the differences between all of them.
Ah I forgot to include in my post we also tried advantage with her last month! Same issue

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't, but you are doing the right thing. Delay the treatment until you see the vet. There are some very good oral flea medications available, as well, and you don't end up with that oily coat for a day or two.
Okay I'll talk to them and ask to see what I can do! They said they dont have any oral medications but that was just the lady over the phone but I'll be speaking to the vet next week

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats is allergic to Revolution. He gets bald spots. The vet just took him off Revolution and prescribed Heartgard. Heartgard doesn't take care of fleas and ticks but my cats are indoors only so the vet wasn't worried.

Program used to have an oral suspension flea preventative but it's no longer made.

Comfortis is a chewable tablet: Prescription Flea Medicine For Dogs & Cats | Comfortis (spinosad)

Capstar is a pill so use something like a Pill Pocket to hide the pill in: Capstar® for Dogs & Capstar® for Cats | Where to Buy

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is allergic to Revolution. He gets bald spots. The vet just took him off Revolution and prescribed Heartgard. Heartgard doesn't take care of fleas and ticks but my cats are indoors only so the vet wasn't worried.

Program used to have an oral suspension flea preventative but it's no longer made.

Comfortis is a chewable tablet: Prescription Flea Medicine For Dogs & Cats | Comfortis (spinosad)

Capstar is a pill so use something like a Pill Pocket to hide the pill in: Capstar® for Dogs & Capstar® for Cats | Where to Buy
What's heartguard? The problem is fleas though, they're all indoor cats but it's been a problem since the summer. It's a big house too and very hard to keep up with so she's just been trying to keep up with the treatments and theyve reduced significantly but they still have them. Shes gotten the bald patch from revolution and advantage and it's just her.

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'll look into the links you gave me though too thank you!

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't know Revolution was a flea treatment, and so had high hopes for this thread.

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know Revolution was a flea treatment, and so had high hopes for this thread.
What did you typically use it for?