Cat matting

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom has 2 16 year old cats. They were my childhood cats but since she was responsible for them for their whole life she kept them when I moved out. One of the cats had never groomed himself his whole life. We were told when we adopted him that he was left outside the shelter by himself as kitten and we always assumed he was never taught how. We brushed him regularly and the vet had no concerns. Now, he is 16 years old. My mom kept telling me that he has “lick marks” on his fur and she thought that he had dried spit on his fur. I went to see her for the first time in a few months and I looked at the “lick marks” and realized that it was matting. My mom felt terrible that he didn’t notice that it was matting. We are planning on taking him to a groomer. I was wondering if anyone had any other advice in addition to going to a groomer. In his 16 years of living he has never ever groomed himself. I brush him when I go visit I my mom but I don’t think it’s enough since I’m only there every few months. He doesn’t like being brushed, which I’m assuming has something to do with the pain from his matting. Should we be bathing him? I don’t want to traumatize him but I want to keep him as clean and comfortable as possible. My mom is willing to do whatever she has to to keep him comfortable and happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So he has never cleaned himself since he was a kitten?
No, he has never done it his whole life. A few times he would lick one paw and then he would wipe his head with the opposite paw but that’s the most he would do. We would always brush him and my other cats would groom him but now that they are older also they seem to have stopped grooming him

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering, the fact that he never learned how to clean himself... does that mean you clean his butt after he uses the bathroom?

I'm just curious about this. I've heard of kittens needing help learning how to clean themselves but I've never heard a story of a cat this old that has never done it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are planning on taking him to a groomer
See if the groomer has ideas. Mainly, his fur needs to be kept shorter in the areas that are susceptible to matting such as in his belly between his back legs, his little armpits, along his hips possibly. If you-all decide to try keeping up with it yourselves you'll need clippers.

There are dry cat shampoos and coat conditioners, --be sure and check the ingredients (for example my long haired cat became hyperthyroid and aloe has iodine).

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I identify in a bit of a different way. My senior cat is getting to the point where she can't reach her haunches and back as well as area behind her ears that are matted because of lack of grooming and grease buildup. She is getting old and creeky. I tried and those mats just come out in clumps in the comb and it is so painful. She faithfully grooms the easier ares she can reach,though.Although she hates water, the salon is giving her a complete shampoo and blow out dry and taking care of all those matted clumps and a full nail trim. it will be expensive, but it will be done by a professional cat groomer with proper equipment and who promises the cat's hair will be clean and clump/mat free. I have an adopted short hair american domestic calico . Places like the big box supply stores don't cater to seniors nor do they have the proper equipment. I urge you to do what I am doing even though it will cost a bit.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask the groomer to show you what types of brushes and combs they would recommend for your cats coat type. I use different tools on short, dense fur vs. long dense fur, as well as short thinner fur. It really varies :) And be forewarned that in some cases, the only way to remove mats SAFELY is by shaving them out. Never try to cut mats out with scissors at home, as cat skin stretches and you can easily cut not just the mat, but them!
Please tell your Mom that this groomer says not to feel bad. :) Pets mat up easily as they age and it can be very difficult to keep up with preventing it. Some mats are closer to the skin so the top coat looks un-matted, but you don't know until you start combing the area. My vet knows I'm a groomer but would occasionally bring my old, long haired cat in for an appointment and they'd find mats. It happens.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has 2 16 year old cats. They were my childhood cats but since she was responsible for them for their whole life she kept them when I moved out. One of the cats had never groomed himself his whole life. We were told when we adopted him that he was left outside the shelter by himself as kitten and we always assumed he was never taught how. We brushed him regularly and the vet had no concerns. Now, he is 16 years old. My mom kept telling me that he has “lick marks” on his fur and she thought that he had dried spit on his fur. I went to see her for the first time in a few months and I looked at the “lick marks” and realized that it was matting. My mom felt terrible that he didn’t notice that it was matting. We are planning on taking him to a groomer. I was wondering if anyone had any other advice in addition to going to a groomer. In his 16 years of living he has never ever groomed himself. I brush him when I go visit I my mom but I don’t think it’s enough since I’m only there every few months. He doesn’t like being brushed, which I’m assuming has something to do with the pain from his matting. Should we be bathing him? I don’t want to traumatize him but I want to keep him as clean and comfortable as possible. My mom is willing to do whatever she has to to keep him comfortable and happy.
Besides the groomer when was his last blood work. Since he is a senior have the vet check him. It could also be arthritis. Even as a kitten from genetics it can be painful and never show he is in pain

Last edited: