Cat Mate: flies

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last feeder would close and open with my cats microchip. I had to switch her to a catmate so she could have food all day and stop her begging.

But now from time to time i see flies on her food. She eats all her food fast. But she leaves crumbs that she likes to come back to and lick up. :lol:

I am home for now, but i cant watch her food 24/7 for flies. What do you guys do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be looking at how so many flies are getting in the house in the first place. The odd one will follow people in when the door is open but there shouldn't be so many its a problem.
They come in whenever we open the door. I fumigate every few months outside the perimeter with bug spray. But theres always flies in the neighborhood. We live near a lake, so i think that attracts them.

edit: in the past month i have seen a fly three times on her plate.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I get gnats sometimes bad if I forget to empty the trash can or leave crumbs out. I continuously open my patio door to feed wild birds. I dont remember the exact recipe, but heat water,add honey, then you will find gnats trapped in the bowl. My exterminator warned me that gnats can lay eggs in it so change the bowl every day

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I'm home (I usually am), I clean the bowl as soon as she finishes her wet food. Dry food is open at all times but that doesn't attract any flies. What kind of flies are these? Are they too small and in large numbers or?