Cat mass removed on front toe

Rosesandlillys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Wednesday my cat got a mass removed on his toe which was pretty big, so the vet had to declaw his one toe to be able to save the toe. I would post a reference picture but it’s pretty gruesome. He’s a pretty heavy cat,so when when he is just walking or kneeding it begins to bleed a bit. It is now Sunday and i see a stitch sticking pretty far out. (He isn’t due to get stitches taken out till December 8th.) The wound is pretty open like he’s missing a whole toe but he’s not. (This is how I picked him up from the vet, the wound didn’t get bigger) Im just worried about him. He keeps trying to be active even though I have him confined to just one room. He Keeps trying to scratch the door to get out so each time I have to hurry up and get him so he doesn’t make his wound worse or stitches come out. Any advice on the bleeding? Also how to keep him from jumping around in a room and scratching stuff?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - Just an idea but can you pile some pillows around the door somehow, and maybe bungee cord them ...? anyway, something soft like that or a blanket, so he can stay in the room but not get hurt on the door.

It is now Sunday and i see a stitch sticking pretty far out. (He isn’t due to get stitches taken out till December 8th.) The wound is pretty open like he’s missing a whole toe but he’s not.
Take a photo today, and continue every day so that you can see if it does in fact change, and if it does then send the photos to the vet so that they can see what's happening.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are not comfortable with what the wound looks like definitely get in touch with the vet. I have never had a cat declawed (and realize that you did not either but had to have this done because of the mass) but did have a dog who lost a toe once to a growth and when he came home from the vet he was wearing a very sturdy walking cast. Maybe this is not done in the type of surgery that your cat had, but I would be concerned about stitches etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosesandlillys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are not comfortable with what the wound looks like definitely get in touch with the vet. I have never had a cat declawed (and realize that you did not either but had to have this done because of the mass) but did have a dog who lost a toe once to a growth and when he came home from the vet he was wearing a very sturdy walking cast. Maybe this is not done in the type of surgery that your cat had, but I would be concerned about stitches etc.
I’m calling the vet in the morning to explain what has been happening. I didn’t know they were gonna declaw his toe until I got there to drop him off for surgery and I was very worried because I have never had a cat declawed before since I know it hurts them very much. I feel like the declaw is hurting him more than the actual mass removal.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It may have been necessary to get the mass. On a toe it may not have been possible to get anything even close to a clean margin which would be a great help if the mass were to be cancerous. I am not faulting the vet for the type of procedure they did in this case but I think that you have been left with a big nursing job and an upset cat.