Cat Mange

Sam57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been dealing with mange for almost two years. My cats get mange when I feed them oily foods. I have to apply ivermectin and benzoyl peroxide on their cuts, and bring back their dry food until they are gone. Once they are gone, I think they are gone for good, so I start feeding them the foods they love, like chicken canned foods, instead of the dry oilless
cat food. But then it starts coming back again.

This is the type of mange that leaves red, hairless patches in the skin, as well as cuts.

For some reason, my older one is immune to them. People have told me that older cats are more immune to the mange. I think that older cats have less oily skin, and that is why they don’t get it.

Is there any safe oral treatment out there that I can use to finish these terrifying insects?

Or at least any type of canned foods that do not have oil in them?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought mange was caused by mites? :headscratch:

edit: ok I think I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant the oily foods is causing the mange but I see you mean that you think the oily foods cause them to get mites. Hmm. I’m not sure about oil in foods. I suppose a limited ingredient diet might have less oil? You could always contact companies and ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sam57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I think that when I give them dry food, the mange goes away. But I think it doesn’t go away all the way. I think a few of them always tend to survive somewhere. When the skin environment is not good for them they remain under the skin and all you see is a tiny red dot. But trying to look for those tiny red dots and treat them with ivermectin lotion is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

I have tried applying lime without washing them, but it doesn’t work. I think that what works is the constant washing of the skin, which makes the skin dry and gives the mites a dry environment they can’t live in.

Washing them is out of the question since they hate it so much. Benzoyl peroxide with ivermectin works like a charm, since benzoyl dries the skin and ivermectin poisons them. But I can never get rid of all of them. They only let me know where most of them are when I see the scratches and red patches they leave.

If some one could make a medicine that would make dry flaky skin on cats. I rather for my cats to have dandruff, than mange.