Cat Making Puddles

PinkSox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

It's been awhile since I've posted anything here but I'm having a few issues with one of my cats at the moment and I'm not entirely sure what to do.

About two years ago I adopted a kitten so my older cat wouldn't be so lonely when I left for work all day. The two disliked each other at first but then seemed to warm up quite well. Currently they seem to fight from time to time but they spend quite a bit of time playing and cuddling as well so I'd say their relationship is pretty good for being cats!

With that being said, my eldest cat seems to have exhibited a somewhat odd behavior from time to time - he urinates on furniture and I can't seem to figure out why! I've taken him to the vet multiple times and he's received a clean bill of health each time. He's a healthy weight and is pretty alert and active for his age (4). I've never actually seen him squatting to urinate on the furniture but I'm pretty sure he's the culprit as these puddles only show up on pieces he frequently uses.

Both cats are neutered and I've never found any urine on horizontal surfaces so I don't think he's marking. I also have 2 cats and three litter boxes, all in different areas of the house.

He is a very anxious cat and it does seem to happen when I'm out of the house more than usual or if a visitor comes by and stays too long? I'm thinking maybe it is anxiety related as since the quarantine has started he has barely done it at all.

I have noticed when he urinates his urine does have a particularly pungent smell compared to my other cat and seems more foamy - I've mentioned this to the vet and they've tested him for infection before and found no signs. They hypothesized stress or cystitis.

I use an anti-anxiety tincture that I apply between the shoulder blades on him every other day which seems to have helped somewhat but I still notice a puddle from time to time.

I'll also mention that the puddle doesn't seem like what he does in the litter box - like it's a small amount of urine, to me it doesn't seem like he's intentionally urinating (If this makes sense at all?)

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Both are neutered/spayed? Your anxious baby does sound like there's a little separation anxiety going on plus "stranger stress"
Can you try some cat music? There's Spotity, Youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources you could look into.

You have an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle?

Can you try engaging his mind with walks, or is he too skittish for that?
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly how old is he? 10+ years? Sometimes older animals like people can become a bit leaky since the muscles lose tone with age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PinkSox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom - Yes both boys were neutered prior to me getting them. So no issues there!

I do use enzymatic cleaner, unfortunately he still hits the same exact spots - mainly the ones he hangs around a lot?

We actually used to do walks just in the backyard and he loved it! Unfortunately I live around neighbors with noisy dogs that scare him. He gets so wound up he's almost injured himself twice when I've been walking him and once he slipped out of the harness! I decided I wasn't going to walk him anymore as I live near a busy street and I don't want to risk him getting out and being hit by a car or accidentally running into a yard with a dog. I just recently purchased an outdoor cat enclosure though, but I have yet to put him in it as it's very open to the surroundings and I'm afraid something will spook him. I ordered a small cat house that I will be putting inside the enclosure as I think it will make him feel more comfortable if he gets scared if he has a place to go hide, of course it's taking forever to arrive due to quarantine. I don't want him to get really spooked the first time in the enclosure and him associate negative thoughts with being in it. Eventually I want to connect it with my house via a cat door so he'll be able to run back inside when he's too wound up (I'm hoping this will improve his comfort levels and overall confidence), but I don't know if it'll help with his accidents?

IndyJones IndyJones - That's the strange thing - he's only four years old? I don't think kidneys would be an issue at his age or even bladder control really. The vet has done blood work on him once (I'm not sure all what they checked, as I can't remember all the test that were run), but everything came back fine according to the vet (That much I remember!).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if it'll help with his accidents?
It might if boredom/stress are the main factors causing the inappropriate peeing.

You know, I'd see about setting up a camera focused on one of those areas and make sure which one is the culprit. I was also thinking if you don't have any, to utilize unscented puppy pee pads (disposable or washable/reusable).

have noticed when he urinates his urine does have a particularly pungent smell compared to my other cat and seems more foamy
Can you get him to drink more water by adding a pet water fountain or additional bowls around the house, or even add a little water to his canned food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PinkSox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom - I was considering getting a camera awhile back but didn't end up getting one, perhaps I should get one to confirm it's the kitty I think that it actually is.

I have 2 water bowls and a water fountain set up for both of them. I might move the fountain into a different room so maybe he has easy access to water throughout the house? I feed him wet food with lots of moisture. I have tried adding water to it but he doesn't seem to eat it when I do this. He's a bit of a finicky eater when it comes to cat foods - though he will attempt to steal lots of various people foods, he's very picky about cat food! lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
a bit of a finicky eater when it comes to cat foods - though he will attempt to steal lots of various people foods
...sounds like my boy too :)

Sometimes floating ice cubes in the water can entice more drinking :thumbsup: