Cat making kind of a quacking, gagging, coughing noise every so often

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Himalayan Persian male has been making this noise lately. Kind of a quacking, coughing, hacking sound, like when a cat is gonna barf up a hairball but he hasn’t been hacking any up lately, he just makes the noise. He has appeared fine other than that, he is eating and drinking. We have given him a treatment of this gooey stuff that’s supposed to lubricate his tract and force out any hairballs. I just can’t be sure that’s the problem. Anyone else experience this? He does it every so often, maybe a couple times a day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try to get a video of it and show it to your vet.

One of my cats does something similar and the vet has chalked it up to what he calls "post nasal drip" after he did a complete work up including endoscopy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Agree with the above. I would liken it with what Feeby does (she rarely coughs up a hairball, but does all the same 'behaviors' as if she were going to). HOWEVER, Feeby does this maybe once a month - not ever as often as twice a day. Do you brush your cat daily? does he shed a lot?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be a "reverse sneeze." My cat had a quacking-retching-coughing fit every few days and I was able to send a video to my vet, who brought us in for a chest x-ray. X-ray was fine and the vet thinks it's allergies, but I didn't want to mess around with a potential lung issue.

ILoveRatsAndAllAnimals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does you Cat have any liquid or crust on husband nose or eyes? It could be something like a respiratory infection or something. I am not a vet, but you should probably take your Cat to one of the problem persists. It could be hairball, infection, cancer, or stuck catnip... best of luck and please update on how your Kitty is doing!!

jack_and_gin19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat Ginger was doing the hairball without a hairball cough, and based on some x-rays the vet thinks it may be asthma. I joined an online cat asthma group, and while we're still trying to determine if my cat's diagnosis is correct, it turns out that coughing was a pretty common symptom for the people's cats in the group.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea it could be asthma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MontySD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok update, he stopped doing it and it’s been 3 days without any cough or hack at all. The only constant I can think of is I was giving him some catnip every day or other day for awhile and stopped a few days ago. Could that have been a corrolation and reason to trigger his behavior?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kitty could have asthma. Some cats make a kind of barking sound when they have it. However, asthma is not the only reason a cat will cough. One of mine started coughing and the vet did this big panel and found he was positive for my coplasma felis.