Cat Maintenance

Emily ♡

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I still haven't gotten a cat yet but I am planning on getting one within the next couple months. I've been researching the types of breeds and their maintenance and each website has something different. I was wondering which cats are the easiest to take care of because I am gone from home for about 9 hours on the weekdays and that is quite a long time. I'm specifically looking and scottish folds/straights and some webwites tell me they are low maintenance and some say the opposite. Thank you :)

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A black cat is the healthiest! Has the least amount of allergies. And has the hardest time getting adopted because of negative association of ascetic color black. There are a lot of vets and adoption shelters that may allow you to adopt a black cat on black Friday for FREE. What ever the breed, black is the best color! In Japan, single woman who own black cats are likely to attract more suitors. In England, a black cat is said to be a good wedding gift for newly weds! More black cats are killed in shelters than any other kind of cats. Please adopt a black cat, no matter the breed!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Scottish Folds and Scottish Straights aren’t super high maintenance. The shorthaired variety doesn’t require much grooming, and they aren’t an extremely active breed that requires a ton of exercise. However, Scottish Folds and Scottish Straights, like any other cat, will still require regular interaction with their person (like playtime and cuddle time).

What I would recommend is visiting your local shelter and look at adopting an adult cat. They don’t require as much interaction as kittens do. If you talk to the shelter staff, they might be able to recommend a cat that is a good match for you.

Here’s an article that you might find helpful: First-time Cat Owner's Guide

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think one thing you need to keep in mind is that unlike dogs cats were never breed for a specific job. With a dog you have, hunting, herding, guarding, etc, but with cats they are mostly the same, they evolved to hunt small animals. The main difference tends to be more looks and fur type then anything else. The exception tends to be newer and more exotic breeds like the Bengal or Savannah, which require much more exercise then a normal cat.

It's not a bad idea to have an idea of what breed you want, but also keep in mind that not all adhere to breed standard. You can often find the whole range of personalities in the same litter, let alone the same breed. Rather then sticking hard to one breed I would just go the the shelter and find one with the personality/temperament you are looking for. In terms of low maintenance what exactly are you looking for? Pretty much any short haired cats are going to be easy for grooming, but all cats pretty much eat the same thing and all require daily interaction. A Scottish fold is an example of a breed that is likely going to require more ear care and cleaning then other breeds. I would also get an adult cat if you are going to be gone most of the day, kittens of any breed require a lot more time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emily ♡

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A black cat is the healthiest! Has the least amount of allergies. And has the hardest time getting adopted because of negative association of ascetic color black. There are a lot of vets and adoption shelters that may allow you to adopt a black cat on black Friday for FREE. What ever the breed, black is the best color! In Japan, single woman who own black cats are likely to attract more suitors. In England, a black cat is said to be a good wedding gift for newly weds! More black cats are killed in shelters than any other kind of cats. Please adopt a black cat, no matter the breed!
Thank you for informing me of that. I will definitely look into a cat with a black fur coat :)

Emily ♡

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Scottish Folds and Scottish Straights aren’t super high maintenance. The shorthaired variety doesn’t require much grooming, and they aren’t an extremely active breed that requires a ton of exercise. However, Scottish Folds and Scottish Straights, like any other cat, will still require regular interaction with their person (like playtime and cuddle time).

What I would recommend is visiting your local shelter and look at adopting an adult cat. They don’t require as much interaction as kittens do. If you talk to the shelter staff, they might be able to recommend a cat that is a good match for you.

Here’s an article that you might find helpful: First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Thank you for the reply. I will definitely have the time to interact with (my soon to be) cat and be able to do everything necessary for the cat. We sadly don't have any cat shelters in my area, all of the near shelters only have dogs so I think I will be adopting from a breeder instead. I appreciate the article too, it's really helpful and is giving me plenty of useful information. :)

Emily ♡

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think one thing you need to keep in mind is that unlike dogs cats were never breed for a specific job. With a dog you have, hunting, herding, guarding, etc, but with cats they are mostly the same, they evolved to hunt small animals. The main difference tends to be more looks and fur type then anything else. The exception tends to be newer and more exotic breeds like the Bengal or Savannah, which require much more exercise then a normal cat.

It's not a bad idea to have an idea of what breed you want, but also keep in mind that not all adhere to breed standard. You can often find the whole range of personalities in the same litter, let alone the same breed. Rather then sticking hard to one breed I would just go the the shelter and find one with the personality/temperament you are looking for. In terms of low maintenance what exactly are you looking for? Pretty much any short haired cats are going to be easy for grooming, but all cats pretty much eat the same thing and all require daily interaction. A Scottish fold is an example of a breed that is likely going to require more ear care and cleaning then other breeds. I would also get an adult cat if you are going to be gone most of the day, kittens of any breed require a lot more time.
I wish we had cat shelters in my area but they only have shelters for dogs here. I think the next best option for me is to adopt from a breeder so that's most likely what I will be doing. By maintenance I mean things such as the breed of cat will be fine alone at home for most of the day without getting stressed and the amount of grooming (which you already answered :)) I will have to do everyday. I will definitely be able to provide plenty of daily interaction. Do you know anything about the ear care of the scottish fold/straight? If not that's totally fine. Thank you :)

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish we had cat shelters in my area but they only have shelters for dogs here. I think the next best option for me is to adopt from a breeder so that's most likely what I will be doing. By maintenance I mean things such as the breed of cat will be fine alone at home for most of the day without getting stressed and the amount of grooming (which you already answered :)) I will have to do everyday. I will definitely be able to provide plenty of daily interaction. Do you know anything about the ear care of the scottish fold/straight? If not that's totally fine. Thank you :)
Ok, so since you don't have shelters I would just look at breeders for older kittens (over 6 months) or retiring breeders. As I said kittens in general don't do well left for long periods of time. I can think of several breeds not to get, but narrowing down what to get when you need to pick a breed rather then just a cat is harder. :think: I would start by finding out what breeds you have as options in your area then and talk to breeders for the breeds you are interested in.

As far as I've read the ear cleaning for the scottish fold is similar to having a dog with floppy ears, so it's only an issue with the fold not straight ear ones. The ear flopping over can trap bacteria, dirt, and moisture, so you will need to check the ears regularly. How often depends on the cat, some just have dirtier ears then others.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you might call the shelters. Even if they are for dogs sometimes when a dog is rescued a cat is rescued with him. Also, if anyone in your area knows where there are cats in need of a home, it will be the people connected with the shelter. Or they will know the people who will know.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Or local vet offices. Ours occasionally have cats available for adoption.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me a free cat! Healthiest cat I ever had! Best behaved! Older cat, 8-10 years old. She is a joy!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am also discussing adopting an older retired breeding cat. I emailed a lot of catteries in the area. I have one who responded. I pain $250 and plan on taking one home next summer.