Cat Made Weird Noise After Drinking Water

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! My girl was drinking water last night and made this weird sound in two different instances. I sent the clip to the vet, but in the meantime, does anyone else’s Persian do this? She did it immediately after drinking water and has a faucet-type water fountain. She only made this noise for 1-2 minutes, but she did it in 2 separate instances drinking water about 5 hrs apart.

Please watch video below for the noise. Thank you!

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't see the video. Try having her use a bowl instead of a faucet since she is persian

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I did not see a video either. Since the noise was 5 hours apart it could be an isolated incident. Keep an eye on her to monitor and if it continues to happen give your vet a call. I also have a Persian, he is our third. The previous two were flat faced but the third is a doll faced. What type of Persian is your cat? The reason I asked is because being a brachycephalic breed the doll face Persian cat does not have the extreme features like the flat or peke faced Persians, (squished facial features). The doll face cat has a nose that extends outward which is why they can breathe easier than the flat face Persian.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did not see a video either. Since the noise was 5 hours apart it could be an isolated incident. Keep an eye on her to monitor and if it continues to happen give your vet a call.
Sorry about that! Here is the link to the video if you’re still curious about the noise
Thank you so much, I will definitely keep an eye on her and contact the vet if needed

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately it requires someone reading it to log in to Google.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It worked! :thumbsup: By the noise she is making and her movements it sounds like she's trying to cough up a hairball. BTW, she's a beautiful peke/flat faced Persian.:lovecat3:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree since the coughing is after she drinks. Do you brush her every day? Or give hairball ointments

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm curious if maybe she got some water up her nose when she was drinking from the faucet type water fountain.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s unclear from the video and the noise alone. But I’m more inclined to think she got some water up her nose. Cats who want to bring up a hairball are usually more deliberate than casual. They crouch and go for it. I’ve never seen a drive-by hairball.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s unclear from the video and the noise alone. But I’m more inclined to think she got some water up her nose. Cats who want to bring up a hairball are usually more deliberate than casual. They crouch and go for it. I’ve never seen a drive-by hairball.
Agreeing with daftcat75 daftcat75 on this one. A hairball sound is much louder and more insistent. And yes, "crouch and go for it" fits, too.

This sounds to me a lot more like water in the wrong place or even a sort of cough (or reverse sneeze) because of an irritation of some type in the throat.

Scaredpersianowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for the input. So far it seems to only have been that one day and it was scary because it happened twice five hours apart when she was drinking water. She is very congested all the time due to her breed, so we think that might have something to do with her not being able to breathe very well when she’s drinking water. I sent the video to my vet and she said not to worry about it, as Persians can be very clumsy when drinking water, and that it didn’t sound very concerning. So far, she only did it one day, and we haven’t heard it so far. I’m keeping an eye on her breathing, but she is eating and drinking, fine, playing, and breathing normally.

I am super grateful I found this site, as you guys are always so helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you so much again!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for the input. So far it seems to only have been that one day and it was scary because it happened twice five hours apart when she was drinking water. She is very congested all the time due to her breed, so we think that might have something to do with her not being able to breathe very well when she’s drinking water. I sent the video to my vet and she said not to worry about it, as Persians can be very clumsy when drinking water, and that it didn’t sound very concerning. So far, she only did it one day, and we haven’t heard it so far. I’m keeping an eye on her breathing, but she is eating and drinking, fine, playing, and breathing normally.

I am super grateful I found this site, as you guys are always so helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you so much again!
I'm glad to hear all's well! Fingers crossed that she continues to do well.

I've also learned a ton from people on this site, it's been particularly helpful to read about experiences dealing with digestive disorders.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks like reverse sneezing. Kabuto sometimes does it after drinking too. He has the opposite muzzle, his is long and dog like. Oriental cross.

I've noticed its since being diagnised with chf that the reverse sneezing started. Not saying your cat has a heart issue but might want to meantion it at your next vet visit or if it increases in frequency.

Reverse sneezing is basicly the animal eqivlant of us going "acheemm" to clear our throat of an irritant.

*edit: you nailed it when you meantioned conjestion. That's exactly what usualy causes this. Post naisal drip most likely. Made worse by getting water up the naisal passage. If it continues i would seek the vet but if it is a one off thing I would not be concerned.

If you don't already have one running it might help to have a humidifire set up and running.

Last edited: