Cat made puking sounds but no puke??

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today it seemed like my sweet baby sunshine isnt feeling too well. Well, she seems fine and purring lots but I know cats can hide illnesses well.

Usually all the cats come running to the bowls when they hear me putting food out, the others did but she didn't. She was just sleeping though so I figured she would come later. Another cat is on a diet so I had to put the food away but she didnt eat yet. Me and my bf left for just a couple hours and then came back, she was laying on the bed and started to make puking noises. She didnt have any puke come out though. She then jumped on the floor and did the same thing and still nothing. I just gave her a few pets and she just went to lay on the bed again. I put the food out again and she came over to eat finally but other than that she seems ok. Do cats do this when they need to get a hairball out too? Idk :( poor baby

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beside hairballs, I can think of two possibilities...

One is worms or other intestinal parasites. Sometimes cats will wretch when they have worms.
You may or may not see evidence of worms in their stool. It might look like spaghetti in their poop or they might just poop spaghetti. If it gets really bad they might throw up. Again, it looks like spaghetti.

A trip to the vet with a stool sample will tell you, pretty quickly, if this is the case. Usually, it only takes one office visit. The cat will get a pill at the vet's office. You might get a prescription for one or two more to give your cat at home. Once done, the problem is usually solved pretty quickly.

If your cat gets regular checkups at the vet this really isn't much of a problem, especially if your cat is an entirely indoor cat.
If your cat hasn't been checked for worms, lately, it's probably a good idea.

The other thing that I'm thinking of is a respiratory spasm. It's kind of like "kitty asthma."

The cat will get down low to the ground, stick its neck out and go, "Hack! Hack! Hack!" with a little bit of a honking sound.

Casper get this, occasionally. It doesn't happen very often but it is distressing when it happens.

The good news is that, as long as it doesn't happen every day and as long as it only happens for a minute or so, it's not harmful.... distressing as it seems.

It's probably because of dust, pollen or something in the air that bothers the cat's lungs.

Like I said, Casper gets it once in a while. It doesn't even happen once per month, anymore, and it only lasts for a minute.

If it does happen frequently or if it lasts more than a minute or so, please take your cat directly to the vet because it might be something more serious.

If it does turn out to be respiratory spasms your vet can give you an inhaler for your kitty. It's almost the same thing as people use only specially made for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beside hairballs, I can think of two possibilities...

One is worms or other intestinal parasites. Sometimes cats will wretch when they have worms.
You may or may not see evidence of worms in their stool. It might look like spaghetti in their poop or they might just poop spaghetti. If it gets really bad they might throw up. Again, it looks like spaghetti.

A trip to the vet with a stool sample will tell you, pretty quickly, if this is the case. Usually, it only takes one office visit. The cat will get a pill at the vet's office. You might get a prescription for one or two more to give your cat at home. Once done, the problem is usually solved pretty quickly.

If your cat gets regular checkups at the vet this really isn't much of a problem, especially if your cat is an entirely indoor cat.
If your cat hasn't been checked for worms, lately, it's probably a good idea.

The other thing that I'm thinking of is a respiratory spasm. It's kind of like "kitty asthma."

The cat will get down low to the ground, stick its neck out and go, "Hack! Hack! Hack!" with a little bit of a honking sound.

Casper get this, occasionally. It doesn't happen very often but it is distressing when it happens.

The good news is that, as long as it doesn't happen every day and as long as it only happens for a minute or so, it's not harmful.... distressing as it seems.

It's probably because of dust, pollen or something in the air that bothers the cat's lungs.

Like I said, Casper gets it once in a while. It doesn't even happen once per month, anymore, and it only lasts for a minute.

If it does happen frequently or if it lasts more than a minute or so, please take your cat directly to the vet because it might be something more serious.

If it does turn out to be respiratory spasms your vet can give you an inhaler for your kitty. It's almost the same thing as people use only specially made for cats.
Yeah she only did it for about 30 seconds and hasnt done it at all since. We're working on getting all the cats checked up on at the vet and shes next so we'll probably bring her in sooner than later!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Hairballs can cause a cat to feel rough and less hungry. Do you give your cats anything to help with hairballs? Brushing regularly is always a good start to help prevent hairballs. But, even something as simple as a little dab of butter/margarine a couple times a week can help as well. Try putting some on your finger, or her paw, for her to lick off. Right now, I would recommend giving her some for 2-3 days in a row, and then back off to 2 times a week. If you find out it is not hairball related after her vet visit, giving her the butter/margarine in the meantime isn't going to hurt her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Hairballs can cause a cat to feel rough and less hungry. Do you give your cats anything to help with hairballs? Brushing regularly is always a good start to help prevent hairballs. But, even something as simple as a little dab of butter/margarine a couple times a week can help as well. Try putting some on your finger, or her paw, for her to lick off. Right now, I would recommend giving her some for 2-3 days in a row, and then back off to 2 times a week. If you find out it is not hairball related after her vet visit, giving her the butter/margarine in the meantime isn't going to hurt her.
No I havent tried any of that but will give her some butter! I try to brush all the cats once in a while but not often enough. They shed like crazy. They're shorthair cats and shed a lot lol

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ This happens often with cats. Usually it's hair or perhaps dust. Sometimes kitty will lick something they shouldn't. 🙀´