Cat Loves Playing And Chewing On Silicone Cat Can Lids. Is That Ok?

phillyman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI,

I bought silicone lids for the half empty cat food containers and when not in use I leave them out. Our cat LOVES to play with them. I'm sure some of it is the smell but also she proudly carries them around and brings them to us. I also believe the three grooves ( for different size cans) create a nice challenge/resistance for her teeth.

They are BPA free and I don't think there is a reason she should not be allowed to play/chew on them. BUUUUTTTT having said that I wanted to doublecheck if someone had a reason why she should not play with them. Her other toys (some with catnip) do not nearly interest her as much.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Philly

Example of the lids. I did cut off the little nib so that it wasn't a choking hazard.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Lol I can envision her carrying a lid, that's just so darling!
As long as you aren't seeing pieces or tiny chunks of plastic missing from the lids, which would mean she's aggressive in her chewing and could be swallowing bits, I think you're fine letting her have them. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe your cat would like a Kitty Kong to chew on and carry around? The inside is hollow so you can put in paste-like treats (Kong sells one) or a small catnip toy. Or just leave it empty.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My arnold has chewed holes in the lid of a tough tupper ware container, trying to get to his treats.

I would be concerned that given enough time he might chew off a piece.

But I dont think most cats could do that.

The thought of your cat carrying a lid around makes me smile.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats aren't chewers (except to try to break into the treat bin!) and silicone is pretty tough, so I think it's fine. Of course keep an eye on the lids for any signs of chewing and take them away if she does.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When they were young several of mine developed a thing for the rubber stopper in the bathtub. They played hockey with it. They also played hide and seek and I would see them running away with it like it was a mouse or something. I bought more and those disappeared also. I would find them in various strange places including the bed. Then they got tired of it and quit and I was left with a collection of tub stoppers. Since they are all now middle age the stopper addiction apparently did them no harm. However mentally I can't say for sure. One likes to sleep in the sink, I suppose she could be guarding the non removable stopper making it doesn't some day decide to make a break for it.

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI,

I bought silicone lids for the half empty cat food containers and when not in use I leave them out. Our cat LOVES to play with them. I'm sure some of it is the smell but also she proudly carries them around and brings them to us. I also believe the three grooves ( for different size cans) create a nice challenge/resistance for her teeth.

They are BPA free and I don't think there is a reason she should not be allowed to play/chew on them. BUUUUTTTT having said that I wanted to doublecheck if someone had a reason why she should not play with them. Her other toys (some with catnip) do not nearly interest her as much.

Thank you for your thoughts,
Philly

Example of the lids. I did cut off the little nib so that it wasn't a choking hazard.
I have two cats. One plays with the soda pop caps from the two litter bottles. Sassy plays soccer with the caps. We thump the caps off the table and she chases the cap and plays soccer with it. The other cat her sister Xena could care less about playing with the caps. See how your cat does with the hard caps from the 2 litter soda bottles it might be worth a try.