Cat Loves Coconut Oil & Ghee.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much is too much coconut oil (org., exc one) and/or ghee as I have a Tom (neuter after shots this week if uri better) and he loves it. Should I use a dab as treat or only when I need to brighten up uneaten food that's "unacceptable"

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be very sparing indeed with any kind of pure fat as a treat - no matter how 'healthy' it is. It' very easy to overfeed fat as its so calorically dense (and remember cats need far fewer calories than we humans do ;) ). Excess fat can also cause diarroeah and tummy upsets (furball pastes are fat based for this reason). Fat (usually a little oil) is used to treat constipation in young kittens too - another illustration of its laxative properties.

A tiny dab occasionally as a very special treat should be fine, but I wouldn't give more than that. The only exception is with pilling, when lightly coating the pill in fat (usually butter, but there or coconut oil would work just as well) helps seal the medication taste inside, and helps the pill slip down more easily :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, if been giving 1/2 tsp day... But he's on med...I will adjust. What about a light layer to the paws, they're rough from outdoor living, and he will lick but it's a tiny amount

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only problem I can see from putting it on his paw pads would be him licking it off. If he'll let you massage it in a little so it absorbs faster, that would be better than just leaving him to it (and will also lessen any great paw prints he might otherwise leave around your home ;))