Cat lost a pound

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat Pepper is 2 years old, male, and neutered

We went to the vet yesterday to get his vaccines renewed and after weighing him, he had lost about a pound. He was 5.09kg at his last visit (Nov 15th) and he is 4.73kg now. I asked the vet if the weight loss was concerning and she said “Not really, I don’t think so” and overall didn’t seem concerned over it (included pics of him for reference)

I still feel a bit paranoid about it though, 1 pound seems a lot for a cat when he doesn’t weigh much in general (went basically from 11 pounds to 10 pounds). Other than that, he has a clean bill of health from the vet, no other symptoms of anything (other than a small skin irritation that we were given something to clean it with) Does the weight loss seem concerning? What are your experiences with this?

Attachments

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That weight loss is really fast! Only 2 months...I would think it's abnormal..

Did they do bloodwork?

Has there been changes to how you feed him? By 2 most people switch to a more limited adult diet. If he's always been a small cat, his metabolism might be a touch fast, like my Magnus and he might need a bit extra to maintain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That weight loss is really fast! Only 2 months...I would think it's abnormal..

Did they do bloodwork?

Has there been changes to how you feed him? By 2 most people switch to a more limited adult diet. If he's always been a small cat, his metabolism might be a touch fast, like my Magnus and he might need a bit extra to maintain.
They didn’t do any blood work

No, not that I know of in terms of changes, we did get an automatic feeder along with manually feeding him wet food everyday.
He has always seemed a bit small, but I don’t have a reference on what a “normal” sized cat looks like

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's a decent one, though the last point doesn't work for cats with a primordial pouch.

Google Image Result for https://www.cwvet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/clent-hills-vets-royal-canin-body-condition-score-cat.png

Magnus sits between a 3 and 4. He did gain some weight when he was on steroids but then he acted like he was too fat for life. It was very dramatic.

He also fakes sick to go to the vet though so drama is not outside his area of comfort. A full work up, just so he could open the vets drawers and cupboards. He goes to the vet with the other two now to avoid this.

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a decent one, though the last point doesn't work for cats with a primordial pouch.

Google Image Result for https://www.cwvet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/clent-hills-vets-royal-canin-body-condition-score-cat.png

Magnus sits between a 3 and 4. He did gain some weight when he was on steroids but then he acted like he was too fat for life. It was very dramatic.

He also fakes sick to go to the vet though so drama is not outside his area of comfort. A full work up, just so he could open the vets drawers and cupboards. He goes to the vet with the other two now to avoid this.
I’d say Pepper sits between a 3.5-4, Ive never seen his ribs outright, but I’m not sure if that’s because of his fur (he’s a short hair tabby). Makes me think perhaps he was a bit chunky before and lost weight? From the pictures I attached, he is not the biggest cat, but he doesn’t SEEM skinny, he did have a primordial pouch that was a bit low hanging, but doesn’t really have it that much anymore

Attachments

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He looks like a good size. If you have a scale at home and can manage getting him to sit on it, I'd monitor for further weight loss and take him back if there's anything.

It's hard to tell without a top-down standing photo. But the window stretch looks good.

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He looks like a good size. If you have a scale at home and can manage getting him to sit on it, I'd monitor for further weight loss and take him back if there's anything.

It's hard to tell without a top-down standing photo. But the window stretch looks good.
I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the insight!! :)

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the insight!! :)
He seems good! If he's still active and alert at this weight, it's okay. But I don't think he should lose anymore. 1lb in 2 months is a bit fast, even if on a weight loss regimen, so do monitor it. 😺

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you do not have a baby scale, get one and weigh him yourself. Even vets can mess up. We adopted Buddy July 15th last year. We took him to the vet right away for an initial visit (good thing we did - he had an ear and yeast infection in both ears). I took him the vet about a month or two after adopting him. Their scale said he had lost almost a pound. I took him home, weighed him on my baby scale, nope, it was close to what he weighed at his adoption. He started seeing a Dermatologist vet around the same time - the 1-2 month mark). My scale matches the Dermatologist vet. I did let my vet know. I weigh Buddy at least once a month for my own information.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you do not have a baby scale, get one and weigh him yourself. Even vets can mess up. We adopted Buddy July 15th last year. We took him to the vet right away for an initial visit (good thing we did - he had an ear and yeast infection in both ears). I took him the vet about a month or two after adopting him. Their scale said he had lost almost a pound. I took him home, weighed him on my baby scale, nope, it was close to what he weighed at his adoption. He started seeing a Dermatologist vet around the same time - the 1-2 month mark). My scale matches the Dermatologist vet. I did let my vet know. I weigh Buddy at least once a month for my own information.
Yes, especially if they forget to reset it after tare-ing out a crate or coat. 😺

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
finally got this, but so hard to tell!! :cold:
I have an identical, ears pinned walking away photo of Calcifer.

Same comment, good but monitor that he doesn't lose more :)
If you have even an adult scale that is sensitive, you can use that. I honestly kept track of mine with my WiiFit. Not the most accurate, but at least it's consistent measurements.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suggest getting a baby/pet scale - this is the one I have (see link below), and I trust it to be accurate. I always weigh her twice and the scale comes up with the same weight for both weigh ins. It flashes until it gets a 'solid' reading, so I feel it is locking in on Feeby's weight properly. I weigh her weekly. You can see if Pepper's weight continues to decline.

A screw up at the vet's is possible. My vet's office has built-in scales on the exam table, and they seem to be very reliable. But one of the times I recently took Feeby in, the scale on the table of the exam room she was in was broken, so they brought in their own baby/pet scale which weighed Feeby nearly a pound less than her scale at home.
Amazon.com: Greater Goods Digital Pet Scale - Accurately Weigh Your Kitten, Rabbit, or Puppy | with a Wiggle-Proof Algorithm, a Great Option as a Scale for Small Animals | Designed in St. Louis : Baby