Cat Losing Weight Please Help

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat has been losing weight the last few months, she lost half a pound from nov to feb, stabilized I thought everything was cool but now she lost another 0.5 pound, so total she has lost 1 pound in 6 months.

She weights almost 9 lbs and is around 2yrs old she has been stable in her weight for 2 weeks but that happened last time also.

I took her to the vet, had blood tests done (CBC & thyroid). All is normal. She eats (not as much as before). The vet doesn't know what might be wrong.

I think maybe since she is allergic to something (we don't know what exactly but not food) she might have ingested so much fur she might have a blockage but maybe I am just paranoid.

I leave one 3oz can in the morning and when they finish it I give them kibble. I gave her Rebound by Virbac a nutritional supplement the vet recommended just to cover nutriotional basics, she drank it without problems.

My other cat has been gaining weight (I guess since I leave food out for the skinny one this one over eats)

Any ideas? Maybe she is bored with food? Thanks I am really worried

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm thinking not a blockage since there have been the stable weight times, but have you asked your vet about that - can they do an xray?

Are you continuing with the Rebound?

Have you tried changing food? There have been at least a couple thread discussions lately where it hasn't been clear if the cat is bored, the food manufacturer has changed the formula of the food, it's a built-up allergy or intolerance to one or more ingredients, or an illness is causing the weight loss.

In your case, what if you find a wet food that's low in carbs high in protein maybe? Can you obtain a food dish that is activated by that cat's informational microchip, since it sounds like separating the two isn't really feasible.

Also, you'll want to cut back on the kibble until your other kitty gets its weight back to normal.

Since Rebound has Prebiotics, if you're interested you might ask your vet if it would be ok to also add Animal Essentials Plant Enzyme and Probiotic, or something similar.

These items can be used as enticement toppers or as additions to plump up a diet.
  • boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey,
  • sardines,
  • tuna,
  • tuna juice from the tuna can,
  • canned kitten food,
  • kitten replacement milk powder or liquid as an add-in,
  • bonito flakes,
  • parmeson or shredded cheddar cheese,
  • fortiflora
  • mackerel
  • Unflavored gelatin
  • bone broth
  • raw egg yolk once or twice a week (egg white must be cooked)
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Pet Food Guide

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, try separating your cats when you feed them and do not leave kibble out. Your fat cat is probably scarfing up the skinny cat's food. Fat cat may be eating all the kibble, and 3 oz of food per day is not enough for an adult cat. You can feed the skinny cat three times a day if you can manage it - just don't let fat cat get to it. That should help put some weight on her.

I've got the same problem and have always separated my two for feeding.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do seem to get bored with their food. Have you tried different foods for her, different proteins, different brands, and different textures? some of mine prefer minced, some shreds, and occasionally they will eat pate. They all like some dry, and dont seem to get as bored with it so easy, but they can be picky about the brand.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet check your cat's teeth? Dental issues can cause a cat to not eat very much which results in weight loss.

I'd ask the vet to check B12 levels. Low B12 levels can affect absorption of nutrients which can lead to weight loss. The B12 test is a separate test from regular blood work.

If the current vet doesn't have any ideas why your cat is losing weight, seek out a second opinion from another vet. Bring all copies of your cat's medical records to the second vet for review.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys sorry I was out of town.

So, my skinny cat's weight is stable for now, I didn't get a chance to take her to the vet. I see if I can tomorrow, but for now:

- The fat cat is eating more because food is left out but she is not "eating all the food", skinny cat is the dominant so when she is eating fat cat won't try to eat the food. The can I serve in 2 plates, and the kibble is left out all day so she could gain access to it.

- B12, RX and teeth check Sounds like a good idea I will ask about that
- Ordered new food, with fish so it will be more enticing, all the food I give them is no grain high protein food.

- Will ask about other supps

- Honestly I can't afford a microchip dis they are over $100

- She has been vomiting like once every 7 - 10 days some clear liquid ( bellow, white speckles were not part of vomit, she just vomited close to her litter and they were already on the floor) Someone told me this was normal so I let it go, but now I'm worried.

Thanks guys

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clear foamy vomit is not normal. Bring the picture with you when you bring your cat to the vet for an exam. One of my cats was throwing up clear liquid for a few weeks and I didn't think much of it until I had to bring him to the vet for a possible dental issue and happened to mention the vomit and the vet quickly figured out that my cat had IBD, also based on the weight loss and an abdominal palpation. My cat was eating just fine but some cats may not. I'm not saying that your cat definitely has IBD. You need to ask the vet about that.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok will def take her tomorrow, might even try to take a stool sample just in case
I took a sample of the liquid with a syringe and will take this picture and maybe buy more rebound just to make sure she gets all the nutrients.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so I went to the vet:
First good news: She gained a 100gr
  • No B12 test, but I will give her another round of Nutribound (as Rebound is noun here in Mexico), which is good because she loves the taste
  • Asked for tooth revision, check
  • Had both dewormed, just in case it is parasites causing weight loss
  • I am ordering new food, Acana Wild Atlantic (I guess fish will estimulate apetite)

So now the bad news (not so bad but def not good)

I asked for an Xray, the Vet says there is no blockage BUT her colon is a bit larger than he would like, and says it is a coincidental find, but she might develop Megacolon (high probability if I don't do anything)

So I bought Miralax, and might give her some extra fiber (psyllium like metamucil or something). Can't find the right dosage for Miralax for my cat, anybody knows? :dunno:

He says, it MIGHT be this that is causing vomit.

Hope she gets better.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! So it starts with 1/8 tsp. Is that like 0.6gr? (Im thining about 5gr a tsp, no?

I will mix with water.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! So it starts with 1/8 tsp. Is that like 0.6gr? (Im thining about 5gr a tsp, no?

I will mix with water.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The max dose of Miralax for a cat is 1/2 teaspoon up to twice a day.

Metamucil is flavored, isn't? You can try unflavored Benefiber instead or canned 100% pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling).

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We don't have benefiber in Mexico, and while I read up on all this, metamucil might not be a good idea because psylliym absorbs water and bulks up, so soluble fiber might be better such as benefiber.

I would much rather dose my cat with fiber than miralax, since it is long term and is more natural.

are cats supposed to poop daily? I'm guessing alternate benefiber and miralax

Just need a way to make it work since they don't finish their can, and leave it and the other cat might eat it. Plus she much prefers kibble than wet food.