Cat Losing Hair

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat seems to be losing hair. He’s 3 years old, no health problems. Lives with 3 other cats, he’s the dominant one in the group. He eats natural instinct, wet formula. Lately he’s not eating as much but is alert and active. Uses the litter box as usual. I’m stumped as to what might be causing this. The bald spot appeared out of nowhere. I examined it when I first noticed it back in early December, there was no redness or scarring or scabbing to the area. A month later, it looks like he’s lost more hair. I plan on taking him to the vet but has anyone experienced anything like this with their cat? My cat is strictly indoors, like the others in the group. I’ve attached photos for you to look at.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like a healed scab where the hair fell out to me or maybe a bite from an insect. I'd still follow up with the vet because opinions through photos aren't really a substitute for an exam.

My boy one time had a really bald spot on his arm and when I took him to the vet it turned out to be a raised patch of dead skin. The size of the actual wound compared to the bald spot was really odd. Here was what I saw originally and then healing over time; some she did shave to get a better look at the wound. The top left is how I originally saw it then left to right top row is immediately after vet and over time. The vet had me send her daily photos until she was confident it would heal cleanly. View media item 398180
We never figured out exactly what it was from but gave him a topical treatment to prevent infection and kept it clean while it healed. Hopefully yours is as easy to manage, let us know how it goes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a scratch that got infected and lost the hair around it,(most likely) or another cat tussled with him and pulled off a chunk of hide. It takes a long time for hair to grow back, several months. You could take those pictures into your vet too, if you don't want to go in, they can advise you if it needs to be seen. I'm almost positive it's not ringworm, that would have spread to all the others and to you too, in a months time. Apply antibiotic salve or a good wound spray for cats (at a farm supply store or any pet section) if there is no sign of redness or oozing, which I don't see. Keep us posted!
PS ,as always, if something like that gets worse, always bring them in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input! The top photo was taken a month ago when I first noted the bald spot and the bottom one is from yesterday. I did think he got into a fight with one of the others so I ignored it. Even then it didn’t look red or inflamed or scratched up. But a month later, more hair is missing. There’s still no redness and it’s not raised at all. Not really sure what’s happening but I’ll be sure to bring him in to the vet.