Cat losing hair on the nose

bornagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So about a week ago I noticed my cat has a patch of hair missing from his nose. It's not a wound and doesn't seem to bother him at all but is this something I should be concerned about? My country is in a very strick lockdown so I can't go to my regular vet but I could go to the emergency one. He's very skittish and nervous though, and vet visits really stress him out so I try avoid as much as possible. I think something similar happened last year (he lost a bit of hair on his nose) but then it passed very quickly. Now it doesn't seem to be getting any better (or worse). Do you guys think it safe to just monitor for now or should I rush him to the vet? What would be the signs that something is really wrong? Also maybe anyone had something similar happen to their cats and know what this could be?

I attached some pictures throughout the days.

Thank you for any responses!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Anything he could have been rubbing his nose on? Since the spot doesn't look like a sore and isn't growing in size, I think you'd be safe just keeping an eye on it rather than taking him to an ER just yet. Keep the pictures going so you can continue to monitor its size and appearance. But, do check the rest of his body to make sure you don't see any other spots like it.

Changes in the size, redness, or scabbing - as well as some repeated checks over the rest of his body for new spots - would be things to look for. Watch for signs of itchiness/scratching too.

Hopefully other members will come along soon and offer their ideas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bornagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Anything he could have been rubbing his nose on? Since the spot doesn't look like a sore and isn't growing in size, I think you'd be safe just keeping an eye on it rather than taking him to an ER just yet. Keep the pictures going so you can continue to monitor its size and appearance. But, do check the rest of his body to make sure you don't see any other spots like it.

Changes in the size, redness, or scabbing - as well as some repeated checks over the rest of his body for new spots - would be things to look for. Watch for signs of itchiness/scratching too.

Hopefully other members will come along soon and offer their ideas!
Thank you! This was very helpful. I did check him all over and didn't found any other bald spots (although he has thick coat so it's possible to miss it but I brush him every other day and try to check very carefully). So far there's no redness or scabbing, it pretty much looks the same. I even *think* it's looking a bit better and the hair is re-growing but it's hard to say yet, maybe I just got used to how it looks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you keep up with taking pics so you could compare them? Sometimes that is the only way to be able to notice subtle changes. But, if the hair is re-growing, I would think that is a positive sign.

furdoctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it could be yeast, ringworm or an eosinophilic lesion most likely.