Cat losing fur scaly spots

Erisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.
My 4 year old male cat has been having issues of fur loss with patches of it lost across the hind legs and near the back where his legs starts. This started about a year ago and seems to recur as in it gets a little better and then reverts back. I have two other cats in the house and my other male cat also has similar hair loss across hind legs and back but my female cat doesnt. Now I know this isn't flea allergy since I did apply the spot-on and my female cat doesnt have any hair loss. I don't know exactly how but once again his condition seemed to be getting better for a few days but
20221023_210546.jpg
now it's all of a sudden red spots like the picture above. I do have a lot of boxes in the house with paper stacks so could it be dust mites? My vet thought it was food allergies but even after eliminating poultry the situation remains the same? Did anyone else have similar issues?

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not quite sure what that is, it looks like some kind of allergic reaction, I think you should take him into the vet for another check up, I just hope it clears up soon and actually goes away. God bless ❤

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Since it seems to come and go, can you check to see if it coincides with different foods, or litter changes/litter box cleanings, seasonal changes, or other household products/cleaners/etc. uses? You might want to start a diary to record these kinds of things and see if any of them match up with when the boys get better or worse. The key would appear not to be something constant since the scaly spots get better and then worse.

There are other ingredients in foods besides the protein than can trigger allergic reactions, but again, it would have to be in some foods you feed them but not all of them for it to cause off-n-on reactions. IMO, it is more likely non-food related in nature because two cats being allergic to the same food ingredients doesn't seem to be as plausible as two being allergic to something in their environment.

If they go outside, especially beyond your yard, you might also have to see if there are pesticides or other lawn treatments that would also coincide.

Some folks try antihistamines to help counteract allergic reactions - might be something to ask your vet about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies! I'm gonna keep them in mind the next time I'm going to the vet..which would be next week. Is there anything else I should ask or should I notice some other habits common to the cats to tell her or something? And FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I will try to keep a diary of all these products, seems like allergies are hard to figure out. :(