Cat Loneliness

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In thinking about getting a new cat in the future I wonder how lonely an only indoor cat feels . In your experience do they do better with a sibling or another cat? I am seriously thinking of adopting a young bonded pair come the Spring.
My cat that just passed was a senior cat who lovved to sleep, watch out the window and play with toys only infrequently, except for her toy felt mice which she would bat around, fling down the stairs and leave for me as a present(fond memories). But are younger cats usually better when they have a companion cat?

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel this really depends on the cat and your lifestyle! (Frustrating answer, I know.)

If you could find a genuinely bonded pair who needs a home, that's probably ideal. And many cats do enjoy the companionship of another cat, even if the other cat is unrelated. Young cats who were brought up in multi-cat households may struggle without another cat around. My current cat, Rory, is one such cat; he is five and has never been without another cat in his life until very recently, and it's been eye-opening seeing how difficult it is for him to calm and settle on his own.

However, many cats thrive as solo cats--even when they're young. Many prefer being able to soak up all the attention of their human companion, and also relish in not having to negotiate territory with another cat. Some young cats may have cat-related trauma, especially if they were former strays. No matter what anyone says, you're not doing a disservice to a cat by having only one as long as the cat is content.

If you're talking kittens, however, I would strongly suggest two over one. I used to work adoptions for a local rescue and the number of single kittens we had returned because their play/energy/attention needs were beyond what their human could provide was tragic. I always advocated taking two when possible (I know it's not always doable) because usually they're half the work of one.

Are you home most of the time? If so, a single cat who is happy on their own may be the best move. Otherwise, a bonded pair would be lovely. And it's not like you can't always try and add a second cat later on--heck, my senior cat Lou accepted and enjoyed the company of a much younger cat when I introduced them slowly in 2022.

No matter what you decide, the best of luck. <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel this really depends on the cat and your lifestyle! (Frustrating answer, I know.)

If you could find a genuinely bonded pair who needs a home, that's probably ideal. And many cats do enjoy the companionship of another cat, even if the other cat is unrelated. Young cats who were brought up in multi-cat households may struggle without another cat around. My current cat, Rory, is one such cat; he is five and has never been without another cat in his life until very recently, and it's been eye-opening seeing how difficult it is for him to calm and settle on his own.

However, many cats thrive as solo cats--even when they're young. Many prefer being able to soak up all the attention of their human companion, and also relish in not having to negotiate territory with another cat. Some young cats may have cat-related trauma, especially if they were former strays. No matter what anyone says, you're not doing a disservice to a cat by having only one as long as the cat is content.

If you're talking kittens, however, I would strongly suggest two over one. I used to work adoptions for a local rescue and the number of single kittens we had returned because their play/energy/attention needs were beyond what their human could provide was tragic. I always advocated taking two when possible (I know it's not always doable) because usually they're half the work of one.

Are you home most of the time? If so, a single cat who is happy on their own may be the best move. Otherwise, a bonded pair would be lovely. And it's not like you can't always try and add a second cat later on--heck, my senior cat Lou accepted and enjoyed the company of a much younger cat when I introduced them slowly in 2022.

No matter what you decide, the best of luck. <3
I am too old myself to adopt kittens, but I would adopt 2 adult or young cats who are a bonded pair. 2 Femails. I have heard that even neutered males spray and I can't deal with that. But I guess with time looking and being directed to the RIGHT selection , theright decision will be made. But the opinions from people like yourself matter tremendously to me and I thank you for posting!

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am too old myself to adopt kittens, but I would adopt 2 adult or young cats who are a bonded pair. 2 Femails. I have heard that even neutered males spray and I can't deal with that. But I guess with time looking and being directed to the RIGHT selection , theright decision will be made. But the opinions from people like yourself matter tremendously to me and I thank you for posting!
So neutered males CAN spray, but I've never run into it myself. I've only ever had boy cats (not on purpose, just how they came to me) and I've never had a spraying issue. That tends to happen more in cats who were neutered late (after a spraying behavior has been established) or who are very territorially insecure and in an environment where they feel threatened (lots of unneutered strays outside, etc.). I'm not trying to convince you to adopt a male cat, but just wanted to give an alternate experience in case you go to a rescue and find a beautiful bonded pair that includes a boy that calls to you.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two kitties are better than one. A bonded pair is easier to take care of than a single cat.

That said, listen to your heart, when adopting.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
An already bonded pair will likely remain bonded throughout all sorts of things (as long as there's no serious event of redirected aggression).

However, cats are not animals that prefer to pack together unless in unusual circumstances regarding food that's provided in relatively small areas, for colonies.

and it's been eye-opening seeing how difficult it is for him to calm and settle on his own.
Cat music and a comfort "toy" may help him.

No matter what anyone says, you're not doing a disservice to a cat by having only one as long as the cat is content.
Lissalouie is right :)