Cat Litter Suggestions

apyles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Needing suggestions on Cat Litter. I have multiple cats and I currently use clay cat litter. Our trash pick up comes twice a week and the trash can tends to get quite heavy with all the cat litter. Looking for a better option for multiple cats that wont weight down the trash cans so much or my budget. Any suggestions?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use clay litter, but it is dusty and my new cat had issues from it. I now use Dr. Elsey's precious cat clumping litter. It is 99% dust free, no perfumes and is a hard clumping litter. Which means the pee balls don't fall apart when you scoop them. But you have to have a good base (3-4") because if the pee gets to the bottom, it is a mess and a pain to clean.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have and are you emptying the entire amount of litter from the box(es) all the time? You can remove the clumps, add litter as needed, clean spots in the litter boxes that have been directly exposed to pee/poop, and not get rid of all the litter for months. You can even pour/save litter in a separate container in order to clean the boxes, and then put the litter back in the cleaned box.
If you are thorough/diligent with scooping, cleaning out left behind particles, and keeping the boxes clean, you can keep a lot of the overall litter for months!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use arm & hammer slide. It does slide! Also heavy and dust free. There is a light version which I have never useed

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step, which clumps and has Febreze in it, so there's no smell. Like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I scoop out the clumps and solids only, and take the trash, in a rather large wheelie bin, to the street for pickup about every three weeks. It can get very heavy if I don't take it out for longer than that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apyles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four litter boxes. I clean out the clumps and poop and dump the whole box once a week as it will smell really bad. I was doing some research and found a video on YouTube about using pine pellets. Gonna give that a try :) thank you all for your responses