Cat Litter Problem

Baskin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently, we got a new cat in our condo, a kitten who's around 1 month old. It took a while for them to get along but they did. The only problem now is that our old cat, Baskin who's 12 years old refuse to potty in his litter box. He only does it in a room where we sleep so it's a huge problem. We tried spraying citrus spray to keep him away but after a while when it's gone he just goes there again and do it. We dont really know what to do.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

How many litter boxes do you have? some cats do not like to share at all.

The common advise is a box per cat, plus an extra one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baskin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 1 for each of them. Baskin's litter box is in the room where he usually sleeps. And Yuki's is in the room where she sleeps.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be and likely is related to his new kitty housemate, but you don't want to assume that, especially with an older cat without a thorough vet check.

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As susanm9006 said, definitely get it checked with a vet at this age.

If there are no health problems, and he is going in your bedroom, maybe get his litterbox close (not in - i couldn't stand my cat's litterbox in my bedroom!) to your room? I'm guessing he is going in your room because he still feels that's "his" territory, so a box near there would also be "his". Or, maybe, if you are REALLY desperate, you could put it in your room (as far away from the bed as possible) and slowly move it toward your room's exit until he gets used to it's new location? It's not like it could get worse than him doing it in your room without a litterbox, so a temporary solution while slowly training him to go somewhere else might be better than what you got!