Cat Litter On A Budget - 4 Cats, Jumbo Boxes!!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just bought 4 of them since I was there. For me Sam's is a 300 mile drive, one way, so I stock up on things when I get the chance. I keep the plastic pails and use them for other things so that is an extra bonus, although they will get brittle in the sun so outside use has limits.
What is really funny though is Sams now offers free shipping with the upgraded membership so they will ship the 42 lb tubs to you free. So 4 tubs will weigh 168 lbs, get sent to you for free and only cost $39.88. I would love to have that kind of rate for sending people to places. $39.88 to send someone anywhere in the country, one way!! I suppose luggage would be extra.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought 4 of them since I was there. For me Sam's is a 300 mile drive, one way, so I stock up on things when I get the chance. I keep the plastic pails and use them for other things so that is an extra bonus, although they will get brittle in the sun so outside use has limits.
What is really funny though is Sams now offers free shipping with the upgraded membership so they will ship the 42 lb tubs to you free. So 4 tubs will weigh 168 lbs, get sent to you for free and only cost $39.88. I would love to have that kind of rate for sending people to places. $39.88 to send someone anywhere in the country, one way!! I suppose luggage would be extra.
I second that idea!!! First class is $.99 extra =D

We're serious hoarders of resources when winter hits because there's no telling if and for how long we'll get stuck. I'm watching my calendar carefully as we have less than 2 months before making "the list" starts, and a month after that the shopping begins...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The animal sanctuary where I volunteer uses wood pellets that others here have mentioned for the cats and the rabbits. I was amazed when I started volunteering how little odor there is. Cleaning them is a pain in the neck because urine turns the pellets to wet sawdust (sawdamp?), but it works and it’s inexpensive. Some of the cats don’t like walking on the pellets, though.

https://shop.grangecoop.com/products/clean-burn-wood-pellets-40lb-72870.html

There’s a cats-only shelter in town that was using Yesterday’s News, but I noticed that they’ve switched to rabbit pellets (alfalfa). I’m sure cost was the determining factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all these suggestions! I see I have a lot of choices! I picked up 20 pounds of clumping litter for about $ 10.00 at my grocer Saturday just to "top off" the litter boxes and it is practically gone. GONE. :headshake:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh - I do have a question regarding the wood pellets and the "sawdust" after they pee. So do you have to wipe down every time they pee or what does it do? Can it be scooped out or does it get absorbed?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh - I do have a question regarding the wood pellets and the "sawdust" after they pee. So do you have to wipe down every time they pee or what does it do? Can it be scooped out or does it get absorbed?
The pellets absorb the pee, expand, lose their shape, and turn into a pile of wet “sawdust.” If it’s left long enough—not a good idea—it dries out and you have a litter box with wood pellets and actual sawdust, but the sawdust doesn’t absorb anything (except odor).

At the sanctuary, we have metal pails with lids, and we put empty large animal paper feed sacks in them. (The sanctuary has farm animals, too.) Then we scoop out the wet piles with a regular metal litter scoop which we shake over the sack so that the wet falls through and leaves the dry pellets behind. We put those back into the litter box so we’re not wasting pellets. The poop just gets lifted out and put in the bag. A lot of good pellets are wasted, but at $5 for 40 pounds, it’s still more cost effective for the farm than regular cat litter. And as I said, I’m amazed that the cat cottage typically doesn’t smell. Boxes get scooped only once a day, and at the moment, the general population room has seven cats with 4 boxes and the FIV room has three cats with 3 boxes. Another volunteer and I will periodically dump the whole box and scrub it with soap and water.

I use the clumping grass litter at home for my three and although there’s a big upfront investment when you start from scratch and fill up multiple boxes for the first time, I’ve found that one bag lasts a fairly long time.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basscat, what is the name of the $ 4.00 (40 lbs) non-clumping litter that you use?
I don't know the name of it. I'll look tonight when I get home. It's the cheapest stuff our Wal-Mart has. Just plain non-clumping, non-scented, clay litter. $3.98 a bag.
I would rather use wood pellets, but, he eats them. (fiber I guess?? :lol:). Lil turd will eat anything (wood pellets, pine cones, sticks, toys, shoes, etc.). Pretty sure he just wants to chew on something, but, chunks of whatever winds up getting swallowed.
He'll go through a "dog floss rope" in about 30 minutes if we don't keep an eye on him.
And even then, taking things away from him is usually a challenge in itself. :lol:

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the regular Dr Elsey's litter? It's only $17.49 for 40 pounds on chewy.

But, yeah, having stuff shipped from Sam's Club is aewsome too! As long as you like their litter.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have tried Dr. Elsey (and like it), but have not tried that formula. That is a good price! My staple has been the Respiratory Relief, which is now too expensive. The Cat Attract is outrageous (but I was buying it for my feral). :think:

Basscat, oh my, you have your hands full with your little wood-pellet eating guy! :runaround:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Paws and Claws (non-clumping) also comes in pretty good at only .14 per pound.

Sometimes I get tired of scooping 24/7. :poop: