Cat litter for asthmatics

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in need of a new litter suggestion for asthmatic cats/people.  I've tried Dr. Elsey's and a walnut litter and found both for be very dusty.  I currently use World's Best Cat Litter but I'm concerned about corn allergies.  I read this on catinfo.org: "Here is where they do differ:  I attended a seminar on feline respiratory diseases a couple of years ago.  The speaker noted that they see more asthma in cats on corn and wheat-based litters than they do on the more inert clay litters.  I did not find this surprising given that corn and wheat are hyperallergens.  For this reason, I am very reluctant to use WBCL."

So I'm at a loss.  I also have two Breeze litter boxes but they only use them for urine.  The same can be said for Yesterday's News, Feline Pine, and other pellet-type litters.  I need something with VERY litter dust that's hypoallergenic/fragrance-free and isn't a respiratory threat.  I'm out of ideas.  I read about Green Tea Leaf litter but it's extremely expensive, even compared to WBCL.  Has anyone found a litter that is tolerated by asthmatics?  I always go back to World's Best but I think it's time to try something new.  The human and feline asthma symptoms have worsened here.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which type of walnut litter was it? I've heard some are more dusty than others. Which Dr Elsey's, was it the respiratory one?
I was thinking maybe something like this might work? http://tengrits.livejournal.com/5817.html There is also a commercial litterbox like this but it's pretty expensive.

I've heard of people using shredded paper as litter. You can even buy it as a small animal product, like this: http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/4549/FiberCore-Small-Pet-Eco-Bedding
However, I have a feeling that won't work that well at absorbing liquids, and the texture is unusual so your cats might not like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was the Blue Buffalo Walnut litter; the clumping and the pellet-type.  I would scoop the boxes and feel as though I was breathing in dust, then I'd blow my nose and brown dust would come out(sorry for the graphic description).  The Dr. Elsey's I used was the Precious Cat litter in the blue bag.  I read bad reviews of the Respiratory Relief one(dust issues).  

Thank you for the links.  I don't think either of those options would work, for various reasons, but maybe the seed one is worth a try?