Cat Litter Attractant Additive vs the actual Cat Attractant Training Litter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen a lot of advice here to use the cat attract training litter for litter box-reluctant cats. I've tried the cat attract litter additive (ie the stuff in the bottle you sprinkle on regular litter) under the assumption that it's the same thing. I've had mixed results. I was wondering if anyone has had better results with the actual cat attract litter or whether I am right to assume it's no better than adding the additive to regular litter.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I had a hard to train cat, I found I had to use only the Cat attract litter with no other added litter.  Mixing it with my current litter was not strong enough.  Also when I found an accident, if it was pee, I would sop it up with a paper towel and bury it into the litter.  I did the same with poo.  The straight cat attract litter and burying their pee/poo was the trick.  Also keeping the litter box very clean.

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I initially did what you did, add the additive, didn't work.  I was litter training feral kittens. With the stuff added, they went outside the box.   Then I bought cat attract litter, that did it, never had another issue, not one, not from any of four different ferals.  I also keep the boxes very clean, though.  Scoop constantly. 

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you have seen my post recently on a "litterbox" experiment I did with my neighbor's 16yo male cat who has urinary incontinence issues (he pees everywhere in the house but his litterbox).
  • One litterbox was filled entirely with Dr Elsey's  Cat Attract Litter
  • One litterbox was fillled with his regular Arm&Hammer litter with a layer of the Dr. Elsey's Litter Attractant sprinkled heavily on top
  • One litterbox only had his usual Arm&Hammer litter in it
This old man peed in his litterbox filled with the Cat Attract litter every single night (twice a night because of kidney disease and he drinks a lot of water).

DEFINITELY give the Cat Attract Litter a try. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I ordered a bag of Cat Attract Litter today. I will let you know how it turns out.

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put in the new litter on Saturday and so far all appears to be well. Will withhold final judgement until at least a week goes by.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good!

Just curious...what's going on that you need the attractant?

Do you have multiple cats not using their box consistently? Or training a new kitten? Incontinent elderly cat?

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good!

Just curious...what's going on that you need the attractant?

Do you have multiple cats not using their box consistently? Or training a new kitten? Incontinent elderly cat?
Long story, discussed in greater detail previously. The short version is I rescued a stray who wasn't litter trained last summer. We initially made progress, but things plateaued because, while she was willing to use the box, it held no special attraction for her, so she would sometimes use it and sometimes use somewhere else. By the winter she associated litter box with bathroom, but still didn't reliably distinguish between in the box and next to the box. For the past month or so it's been a couple times a week that she'll miss, so I've been trying to figure out something that will get her from 75-80% to 90-95% (I respect the fact that no cat will be 100%).

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ahhh...I see.

I'm sure if you have discussed this in another thread then other users have given you an abundance of suggestions but just in case they haven't these are a few things that I would make sure to do if I were in your shoes:
  • Cat Attract Litter (which you're already doing)
  • More than one litterbox (possibly 3 around the house)
  • Clean boxes multiple times a day 
  • No hoods or covers on the boxes (some cats think it's too stuffy, cramped, dark inside of a hooded box and can be a perfect ambush spot, even though you have no other predators in your house)
  • Keep litterbox away from feeding spot
I hope the Cat Attract works for you! Keep us posted