Cat litter.... and dogs.

lunatuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to move Luna's litter box to the main floor of our home. I used to have it there but 2 of my dogs like to eat cat poo. The dogs are not allowed upstairs unsupervised so that's where the litter box resides now but I admit I tend to neglect it up there. Now that I am experimenting with cat food I want to monitor her stools. It is a covered box. I wondered if there was a brand of cat litter that would discourage my dogs from eating it.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well most dogs gladly eat clay litter which has got to be disgusting so I wouldn't trust any kind to discourage them, and most cats don't like change so switching types up a bunch trying to find one might upset the cat. I'd just leave it where it is and make a better effort to keep up on it, I have my cats food dish in the same room as her litter so she has a nice dog free zone and scoop every time I feed at least. Unless you think your cat would go through a plastic flap on the box but the dogs would probably figure that out pretty quick and I've heard of dogs getting obstructions from eating kitty crunchies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunatuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a plastic flap! My dogs had no problems with that barrier! Thanks for the advice. I think you are right.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a tv cabinet similar to this one and repurposed it to cat furniture.

I have the litter box hidden underneath with a kitty sized hole cut into the side of the cabinet.