Cat limping slightly, but doesn't seem to be in pain.

mapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed last night that our almost 2 yr old cat seemed to sort of have an odd gait. She seems to have a very slight limp, although she is still running and jumping and she eats like a horse. I tried pulling and prodding on all her legs and got no sign from her that she was in pain. Could this just be a mild sprain or something?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Mapper !

My own experiences with 'slight limps' has gone from reading about these suddenly arising and over a short period subsiding...to experiencing a slight limp becoming a loss of weight-bearing and a diagnosis of a partially torn ligament.....to experiencing a limp eventually diagnosed as a type of cancer.

So, a slight limp can have a variety of eventual resolutions.

From experience, I know to immediately reduce the opportunity for further 'harm' by restricting the cat's ability to do any further damage. I seclude the cat in a 'safe' room where 'high wire' activity and Olympic-style sprints aren't possible, and where the environment is generally quieter and less stimulating.

If you do isolate her to a quiet and restrictive environment - and the limp persists for a week or so, I'd suggest you seriously consider opting for an exam with x-ray. (I wouldn't be doing any "pulling" though, even gently....rather, perhaps feeling for any lumps/bumps)

Hope that helps !