Cat Limping On Same Front Leg Again After Getting Antibiotics 6 Weeks Ago.

mapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took our 4-yr old cat in about 6 weeks ago for a noticeable limp in her front left leg. We poked and prodded her but got no pain reaction from her. We’d watch her walk and sometimes the limp was very noticeable and other time you could barely see it. The vet examined her and couldn’t find any abscess, but said it could be contained within the leg. He gave her antibiotics and offered an x-ray as well but also said an x-ray probably wouldn’t find anything. So we just went with the antibiotics and in 2 days she wasn’t limping anymore. Now 6 weeks later the same thing again with the same leg. Limping but no reaction to us poking and prodding. We are taking her in again and this time will probably ask for an x-ray to make sure nothing is wrong.

Do you think it’s just a coincidence that she’s limping on the same leg again do to being bit by another one of our cats or a neighbor cat or do you think there is something wrong with that leg?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think your current plan, to take her back to the vet, is all you can do at this point. We could probably speculate on all sorts of possible causes but an exam is more likely to reveal a cause than random speculation. After 6 weeks your vet find something that wasn't obvious before.

I hope your vet finds an easy fix for her!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd do the x-ray as soon as possible. My boy had no pain reaction, allowed the leg to be messed with and no visible problem outside a limp. Got x-rays, only because I insisted because I had that gut feeling, and his bone was broken.

Which taught me that some cats have incredibly high pain tolerances. I don't think that's what is going on here but my own experiences have lead me to believe that cats will hide pain way more then people realize.

Hopefully the x-rays show nothing serious but point you in a direction of what is wrong and how to fix it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd do the x-ray as soon as possible. My boy had no pain reaction, allowed the leg to be messed with and no visible problem outside a limp. Got x-rays, only because I insisted because I had that gut feeling, and his bone was broken.

Which taught me that some cats have incredibly high pain tolerances. I don't think that's what is going on here but my own experiences have lead me to believe that cats will hide pain way more then people realize.

Hopefully the x-rays show nothing serious but point you in a direction of what is wrong and how to fix it.
Well they gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and an adequan injection which made it seem like they thought she had arthritis or something, but she’s only 4. My husband took her in and I’m not sure if he let them know that she had this same issue the month prior or not, but I would think they would look on her chart and see that. I questioned the receptionist about how odd that it was the same leg and then she called back alter and said that they were also going to give her an antibiotic shot because she has a split nail on that paw and it might have caused an infection. I really hate that they give her all this stuff when maybe all she needed was that antibiotic shot in the first place. A nearly $200 bill could have been a $75 bill! When we bring her back in two weeks they may end up doing x-rays if she is still limping.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So you say after two days she stopped limping...did you stop giving her the antibiotics after the second day? Or was it just the one shot rather than a daily treatment?

mapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So you say after two days she stopped limping...did you stop giving her the antibiotics after the second day?
They didn't give us any antibiotics to take home the previous time. They just gave her an antibiotic shot that was a slow release. This time they did give us some to give her twice a day, but good luck with that because she is HORRIBLE about taking anything orally! Even with both my husband and her trying to hold her and give it to her it doesn't work.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you asked your vet if they have any tips for medicating her?

mapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you asked your vet if they have any tips for medicating her?
No, I don't think they have much of an idea because they said they had an issue giving some oral meds to her the last time we were in. We thought about mixing it with her food, but she'll know it's there and wont' eat it.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are they a cat-specific vet? If not is there one in your area? Cat specific clinics usually have vets and technicians that are much more skilled at medicating cats and they can sometimes have some great tips for owners. Of course, cats are notorious for being difficult to medicate, so she may just give you a tough time no matter what, just for the fun of it :devilcat2:

My vet has had me mix my cat's medication (in this case it was powdered) with a little bit of tuna because it's so strong smelling and tasting that he probably wouldn't know. That might vary with medication though. Still, if it's a medication you can mix with food, tuna could be worth a try!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I would get a second opinion from a cat only or cat friendly practice. It sounds like they are just hitting her with medications and hoping something will stick. The reoccurrence of the same problem six weeks later concerns me. Them not doing blood work or x-rays at the reoccurrence is concerning.

I know she's young but my 4.5 year old has arthritis and I had a high school friend, human, who had arthritis at 16. But medicating without confirming diagnosis can delay treatment if it is a different cause. I am worried that you will be back here in 6 weeks with the same problem because they haven't identified a cause of the problem, just poked at her and drugged her.