Cat likes to wake me up

flellis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

This is my second visit to the catsite.com. Since last summer, my cat Pepper, would wake me up by tapping my face with his paw while I was sleeping. It was often because he ran out of food and was hungry. Lately, this year, Pepper has been tapping my face even when he has plenty of food around. Sometimes, I would think it would be because he wanted to be petted but he would block my attempts to pet him with his paw. Yet, he keeps on tapping me while I am sleeping. Is trying to tell me something or just being playful mischeivous?

Thanks

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pepper wants you to wake up and get out of bed. Sadie wakes me up like clockwork at 6 am (at least it's not 5 am anymore) by sniffing and nudging my mouth and chewing on my hair when she doesn't get a response. There's no such thing as sleeping in at our house.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucy does this all the time.. if she wants me to wake up, she'll meow and crawl all over me until I'm awake, and then she's fine.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does this every single morning (and throughout the night when he wants under, because when he does it, I'll lift the blankets for him). I got used to it. Now I can't imagine waking up any other way.

I think it just means your kitty loves you, trusts you, and knows you love him enough to obey him.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you may already know, cats are fairly nocturnal. Many people post regarding issues they have with their cats similar to this.

If he doesn't need food and/or water, then he probably just wants you to be up. Lilly used to meow around the bedroom, paw repeatedly at the mini-blinds, & knock things over anytime from 3:30 to 5:30 a.m. Needless to say, I was definitely *not* amused!

At first, I would pick her up and put her in her carrier in the other room until I was ready to get up. She loves her carrier, and doesn't mind being in her carrier. However, she quickly learned that I was getting up only to put her in her carrier, which was not what she was hoping for!

I finally learned that if it's a behavior you want to stop, you need to *completely* ignore Pepper when he does this. I don't know how difficult that will be since he is pawing your face! For me, it was a full week of miserable nights, but she learned that her performance will not be rewarded with any response. She will occasionally still make an attempt, but quickly stops, and she goes back to sleep.

Good luck!

dark_waltz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I can relate to this one, Midas woke me up at 5 am by kneading my head then went to jump into the drawer where I keep his food, hows that for a hint

calicocallie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Callie wakes me up in the morning by kneading her paws against my neck. If I roll over and ignore her, she sits where she is and just stares at me. It's really kind of cute.

dark_waltz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dark_Waltz

Ok I can relate to this one, Midas woke me up at 5 am by kneading my head then went to jump into the drawer where I keep his food, hows that for a hint
Ok still 5am !
arrrgh will he ever get the urge to lie in ?

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I didn't have a paw on my face, a cold nose on my neck, or a loud meow in my ear, I probably would never get out of bed. They will do it when they are hungry, bored, playing and want me join in, just any number of reasons. They don't need a reason, really, they are cats.

Dark Waltz, is that handsome little one in your siggy Midas? He is just tooo cute!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you find a sure fire easy cure, please let me know!

We got a playmate for Stumpy so she'd be more worn out and sleep all night rather than wake me up. Last night was the first night I let Lily the kitten out all night (rather than being shut in a room). Needless to say I was woken at 3am by them racing around the bedroom. Sigh.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My crew knows there is no sense getting up till one of us do so they generally sleep as late as mom does. Sometimes I will see cats coming out of wherever they slept at 11 or even noon. I laugh at the sleepyheads with their ability to sleep so late.

Of course MIL is a light sleeper and her cats know just how to pester her to get what they want in the middle of the night or the wee hours of the morning.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wel i have it a little more easy then most, i work nights, and sleep in the day time, so i very seldom get a wake up call from my cat.

i guess i had some luck, after i removed heyu from the bed and shut the door on her a few time,.and would nto let her back in the room. she no longer wakes me up.

but i do find extra cat toys in the bed, every time i wake up.

sparklesbling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bling and Sparkles run backwards and forwards across the apartment anytime between 1 - 4am.... !! They'll wake up at the first sign they might be getting attention from me (it makes going to the bathroom at night VERY difficult!). But they're starting to learn that I'm going to ignore them, so they'll feed, go to the litter tray, groom and then patiently lie in our bedroom until 7am when we're ready to wake.
(By then they're truly ready to go though - they're virtually on my pillow staring at my face for my eyes to open!! Very cute)

To answer your problem though, one thing I've learnt is to make sure they stay up and awake for the 1.5 hours before I'm ready to go to bed. I try to get them to play but bring it down in the last half hour so they're awake but not playing actively as I find it takes them some time to calm down or else they'll keep going and going on the adrenaline from playtime....

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i get woken up early as well. i have 3 kittens and each of them work as a team to wake me up:

dreamer - paws at my face
bonkers - goes under the covers and licks and paws at my feet
tinkerbell - licks my face and meows

as a team they are unstoppable. i usually roll over to avoid the face lick and paw. then i curl up into a ball with the covers over my head and tucked underneath me all around my body.

after a minute one of them will have dug their way under the covers, usually bonkers, and then created an opening for the others who follow.

me want sleepy

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it was 3.45 am when missy woke me this morning with really loud meows i thought she was in labour i went to check on her and she was fine i got in the bed in her room big mistake she bit my nose licked my eyes lay across my face all the normal mischief. i got up and came downstairs and she has since slept typical lol

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We close the door at night and lock him out -- sleep like babies! He isn't smart enough yet to scratch at the door.

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was that wrong? Oscar wakes me up every 5 am, and during cold nights, he also likes to take nap on my bed so he would sit on my face and if I am awake, he'd tuck himself under my blanket

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on which cat is on duty on a given morning, I get kitty alarm clock anywhere from 4am to 6:30am (I LOVE the 6:30 cat!).

I do not work outside of the home and set my own hours, so it's not such a big deal.
Thankfully, I am by nature an early riser anyway.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pre-cats, I slept in until about 10am most weekends. Since I adopted Spike (and later Oz), I haven't slept in much past 6am. (When I lived with my parents, their cat never woke me up in the mornings, so I wasn't prepared for my own cats to do this, even knowing they're nocturnal.) The funny thing is, it turns out I'm actually a morning person, so I really only mind the "Kitty Alarm Clock" when my cats start pestering me before 5am.

Oz isn't too bad; he just wants to cuddle, and food can wait until I'm actually up and about (although once I do get up, he's very vocal in his demands!). Spike, on the other hand ...
He cries, he yowls, he runs all over the place, he claws at the bedroom door when it's closed, he paws at the blinds whether they're closed or not, he attacks our feet, he claws the mattress, and he chews on electrical cords (but only in the mornings when he wants attention -- he knows this works!). I can ignore all of this except for the electrical cord thing: I have no desire to see my cat getting electrocuted! (And, for the record, he loves Bitter Apple Spray. *sigh*) So for the most part, I've just learned to suck it up, get out of bed, and feed my cats! Sometimes they'll let me go back to sleep, and sometimes they won't; if not, I get to start my day a little bit earlier than usual, so I try to get things done (especially right now, when it's cooler in the mornings and deadly-hot in the afternoons).