Cat likes to climb me like a tree

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I keep Lilly's treats in a cupboard above my sink which she figured out. Every time I turn the water on to wash dishes she comes running (even if she's asleep) and proceeds to climb me to perch on my shoulder and meows like a maniac until I give her a treat. She did the climbing when she was a kitten which was cute but now that she's 8 months old it's painful and not so cute! I say a firm "NO" when she starts climbing but she doesn't seem to care. Anyone have any ideas? I'm covered in scratches!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
My parents have 3 siblings that do this (and they are 2!) Their other 2 siblings do it as well. We have just learned to be vigilant when they are in the room with us...which is most of the time! =)

All 5 of these kitties (and the momma) came into our rescue VERY sick and had to be in isolation for several months. They all crave/demand people attention and because they were isolated with limited interaction they developed the climbing/jumping behavior.

What has worked to reduce the times they climb/jump on us is saying "No" firmly, but not loudly, and placing a hand out to block them from seeing where to jump (about 2+ feet from their face.)

Since you know that she is coming to get treats when you go to wash dishes, I would be prepared. Get a few treats in hand, and when you go to turn on the water, teach her to "sit" to get her treat, rather than climbing you. And, yes, you CAN teach her to do this, it just takes patience and consistency. But, you have a heads up since you KNOW when she is going to do this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I brought Lilly home she was sick also. Wonder if that has anything to do with this behavior.

I've tried getting the treats ready but she still climbs! I think she thinks it's a game and I end up throwing the treat just to get her off of me so I am probably reinforcing the behavior.

I will try to block her from jumping and teaching her to sit. Should be interesting! Thanks for your reply :)