Cat lies with chin on ground

Theodore123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone else’s cat laid with their chin on the floor, feet tucked underneath them?

It’s a new thing my cat has been doing. He seems to do it when he is comfortable with his feet tucked under him and then he brings his chin to the ground and falls asleep in the position. He isn’t breathing hard and doesn’t look like he is in distress but I don’t want to miss something if this position could mean something more serious.

I have tried to look it up but it is hard to find an answer. Some people say it’s perfectly fine, others say the cat could be in extreme pain.

pic added so you can see what I’m talking about

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats lay in all sorts of ways, what matters is they are comfortable. I'd guess your guy was sitting comfortably and started to fall asleep. Rocket is the queen of drifting off in weird spots and positions.

Screenshot_20200802-110507_Photos.jpg

My personal favorite is the faceplate AKA "It's too bright and I am comfy *donk*".

IMG_20201123_144056~2.jpg

A pain position is typically going to be a cat who can't get comfortable and seems to not settle and/or is reluctant to move. Knowing your cat and what is normal will help clue you in. Usually they will not respond to regular items that they enjoy and/or will be slower to respond too. My boy will get very restless and try spots he normally doesn't go as if the location will make him feel better OR he refuses to leave his comfort spot even for his favorite foods. Most people are familiar with a condensed loaf as an indicator of pain, think the cat equivalent of holding your stomach and not wanting to move because you hurt.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy does this when she feels she is being ignored or being denied something (usually not being allowed outside solo, or letting us know she wants to go out even with us tagging along since she is virtually
denied nothing) I call it her 🎶 'poor, poor pitiful me'🎶 (old C&W song) pose. It did scare me when she first started doing it, I thought there was something wrong her physically but nope, just a pose to make us feel guilty. She has us trained very well.😸

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Theodore123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats lay in all sorts of ways, what matters is they are comfortable. I'd guess your guy was sitting comfortably and started to fall asleep. Rocket is the queen of drifting off in weird spots and positions.

View attachment 374477

My personal favorite is the faceplate AKA "It's too bright and I am comfy *donk*".

View attachment 374471

A pain position is typically going to be a cat who can't get comfortable and seems to not settle and/or is reluctant to move. Knowing your cat and what is normal will help clue you in. Usually they will not respond to regular items that they enjoy and/or will be slower to respond too. My boy will get very restless and try spots he normally doesn't go as if the location will make him feel better OR he refuses to leave his comfort spot even for his favorite foods. Most people are familiar with a condensed loaf as an indicator of pain, think the cat equivalent of holding your stomach and not wanting to move because you hurt.
This is so helpful! Thank you! And I love your photos of your Rocket!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Theodore123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help and answers! My kitty doesn’t seem uncomfortable and is totally relaxed when he does it. It just worried me since it is something new that he started doing. But he goes through phases so maybe this is just his new favorite resting position