Cat licks and scratches off Revolution Plus

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have my cat on a monthly dose of preventative Revolution Plus but I've found that after I apply it, he always scratches and licks a lot of it off even though I put it on the back of his neck.

Is it still effective if he's licking it off and is there any harm from him swallowing some of it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normally, that stuff tastes so terrible that if a cat gets a bit of a lick, they stop licking it after that. A lot of times, it will even make them foam at the mouth due to how bad it tastes. I cannot imagine he likes the taste, so I am guessing he isn't ingesting enough of it to hurt him. Unless he is unusually agile, I am not sure if it is placed as high up on the head/neck area as it should be, how he is actually able to scratch and lick at it.

Maybe try applying closer to the base of his head leading to his neck and see if that helps. There are dozens of videos online on how/where to apply topical flea treatments, maybe watch a few and see if you are applying differently?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've watched videos and also had two different vets show me how to apply it. Even when the vet applies it, he's able to scratch or lick at it. I've tried different locations on his neck - if it's closer to the base of his head, he will easily be able to scratch at it with his back paws, and if it's closer to his shoulders, he will be able to lick it off.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only other thing I would know to suggest is to place the treatment up high enough to enable you to place a cone on him for a couple of hours after application. It would not be entirely dry, but it could go a long way to help him from getting to it before it has at least soaked into the skin. Maybe once that has happened, he will be more inclined to leave it alone.

Hopefully someone else on this site who has had something similar happen to them will see your post and offer some suggestions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea, I think I will try that next time! Even just a few hours to give the medication a chance to soak in would be good.